8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this thread might not mean much to a lot of people but for what its worth...

I installed the TSI turbo it for my 2008 civic si sedan.

I wont mention all the problems i had with fitment or leaks but while the car was being tuned, the heatsheild for the turbo melted some of my ecu harness wires on the firewall. Now, nothing can communicate with the car. The data link connector is useless. It will be about $3,000 to pull the motor and fix the problem and no more turbo.

So for anyone else whose project started out as fun and ending in a disaster, share your pain....share your pain

·
Registered
8,668 Posts
Thank goodness I was too lazy to install my heatshield. I did go out of my way and heat wrap the **** out of my wiring though.

To all you GReddy fanboy's the TSI kit has lots of potentional, its all about the tune. At least it comes with a friggin BOV.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
cant really blame them...your the one that put it together although i had a problems with their base map

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
To all you GReddy fanboy's the TSI kit has lots of potentional, its all about the tune. At least it comes with a friggin BOV.
a BOV only costs $200-$250... is that really worth all of this?

FYI, from a "GREDDY FANBOY", the Greddy kit's are "all about the tune" as well...

With the 3k you have to spend now you couldve gotten a Greddy. Good luck bud
:yeahthat:

honestly.if youre going turbo....cheap < greddy
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

To the OP, good luck...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
about the bov, the one they gave me leaks (only held 4lbs) , they sent me two of the same peice on the intercooler piping, and yeah, my base tune left the car undrivable. oh and the couplers suck. Yes the TSI kit has a lot of potential (the R18 kits are great) and i did put it on myself, but the heatshield melting the wires is unacceptable, not a good design.

Actually, they didnt give me a base tune on the AEM F/IC, i had to tell them to send me one. Once i got it, it didnt do me much good. I told them i wanted to return the kit for at least a partial refund because i wasnt satisfied with the tune they gave me, which wasnt a good sign to begin with. They said "oh just go get it tuned, it'll be fine!" Well in the middle of tuning, they figured out i had a boost leak (the bov and a coupler). Right after i got that taken care of, they tried to hook up back to the DLC and were unable to. We found that the harness wires were melted. and the TSI kit wasnt cheap. i have invested $6000 towards turbo related parts (including turbo kit).

...the thing is, i wasnt trying to go cheap, which is the sucky part.

The point is i tried to go back and make this right, they suggested me in the direction i went and it has lead me to this point.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
I know this thread might not mean much to a lot of people but for what its worth...

I installed the TSI turbo it for my 2008 civic si sedan.

I wont mention all the problems i had with fitment or leaks but while the car was being tuned, the heatsheild for the turbo melted some of my ecu harness wires on the firewall. Now, nothing can communicate with the car. The data link connector is useless. It will be about $3,000 to pull the motor and fix the problem and no more turbo.

So for anyone else whose project started out as fun and ending in a disaster, share your pain....share your pain

Sorry to hear about your loss.:SHOCKED:

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
i had some bad experience too... some how when i first installed my greddy kit, one of my piston rings broke... i have no idea why it happend... but like one of my sparkplugs broke inside the cylinder head...and at the time my mecanic just pour the old (like 5k milles motor oil) royal purple thinass oil... so i end up payin like 1k to replace one of my pistons on my brand new 08 si.... so that was some pain...

i say take ur time, save the turbo... and do it again... i was about to sell my setup when i messed up my stuff... good luck man

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Hi, i am the guy with the TSI kit for the R18, i was at burgers n cream on saturday night.. i got to see his car and told him i was sorry for all the issues he has had with the kit, since i also have the TSi kit but for the R18 and can only say good things about them from my experience and it has been great on my car and has not given me any major issues at all, and is making great power.. but for the Si i guess is not the same thing..

Like i told you in the meet, if you decide to keep the turbo, let me know and i will send you to my tuner that knows how to tune the AEM F/IC.. many tuners don't know how to tune with it and that is the main reason why most people have issues with the TSI kit.

Anything else i can help you with, just let me know.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.