8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all. This is my first post :rockwoot: And I'm glad I found you guys.

My questions: I drove the '06 Civic sedan this past weekend and was really impressed. My intention was to eventually purchase an EX sedan 5-speed m/t, but the auto just made more sense (2,100 rpms at 66 mph VS 2,900 or so rpms at 66 mph for the manual).

And now that I've decided on the automatic, I'm trying to cut a deal through one of the Dallas (DFW) area Honda dealers. My biggest challenge is I want to get the car with leather interior installed (seats, center armrest, door panels - where applicable). One dealer said they could do it (3rd party handles it for them), but they didn't recommend it, as it may diminish the reliabilty of the side bolster airbag deployment - cost: $1800!. Another dealer said they do it all the time for all their Hondas. Again, a third party, but using Honda leather (?). Cost: $1395.

Through this second dealer, this is the price breakdown they gave me:
$19,060 ---- MSRP '06 EX sedan automatic
$ 450 ---- Pro Pack (what is this?)
$ 1,395 ---- Leather interior
-------------------------------------
+ T, T & L

I'm trying to get a 7/100k warranty for free (a local dealer offered that last weekend with any new Honda purchase), and would like to get them to come off the MSRP some (list is $17,422).

What do you all think? Am I crazy to think Honda will deal on this hot car?

Other than that, my biggest problem is accepting the idea that I will be paying nearly $22k out the door for a Honda Civic....! But, I'm too tall to fit comfortably in a Mazda 3 or any small Toyota product. And VW is just too expensive (with questionable quality).

Many thanks! Kind regards, 71Rcode

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
the only car that honda isn't really dealing on is the SI. You can get large discounts at most dealers for the other civic models. The one by me was selling them for like 400 over invoice (non SI).

450 pro pack? - might be a BS dealership prep fee that a lot of dealerships are trying to include in the price. Find out what it really is. There should be no charge for "prep" as they like to call it.

Leather - there are a couple of members that have had leather installed on their civics so far. Obviously it's all 3rd party stuff, and they had to deal with the side air bags as well. http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2315 - like half way down the page he has his pics.

As far as the warranty - I don't think you can get a deal like that into the price of the car. There isn't that much of a markup margin to work with. You might want to check out edmunds.com - and find out what others are paying in your area for the exact civic you're looking for. Hope that helps you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Accord Civic pricing, getting a good deal, honda care extended warranty

Thanks for the detailed response -- I do appreciate that. We ended settling on an '06 Accord EX-L (leather) inline 4cyl sedan. MSRP on this LOADED model was $25,500. Dealer invoice was just at $23k. I was able to negotiate a deal with the Internet manager of a local dealership (that, my friends, is the only way to go -- no sitting across the table negotiating from a marlboro-breathed, red-faced salesman!). Anyway, I was able to get the price of the car down to $200 under the dealer invoice and will get free window tinting. I think my drive out will be around $24,450.

-------------
Regarding the Civic, I really wanted leather seats/center armrest added. Some dealers didn't want to do this, and said there were issues with the side bolster airbag deployment, other dealers said they do it all the time. I could only get one dealer, via e-mail, to tell me there would be no voiding of the Honda warranty by adding the leather. Pricing was anywhere from $1800 - $1000. Basically, I had negotiated an out-the-door price for an '06 Civic EX automatic with no extras, with the added leather, just at $21,491. The sticker on the car without leather, I negotiated down to $19,000. Not that much under MSRP.

So when I began to consider what I would get with the Civic, I knew I could probalby really negotiate a much better deal on the Accord, as the dealers all had quite a few on their lots. That ended up being the case. Nice thing about the Accord VS the Civic, is the Accord is so loaded/luxurious, and the HWY economy is 34 mpg. So, for $3k more out the door, the Accord was a no brainer.

I am to finalize the deal on Saturday a.m. --- it's Friday today. The transaction should be a simple one. We have an agreed upon price, and I have my financing lined up. The only question left is the extended warranty. I made the dealer give me pricing on the 8yr/125k $0 deductable, and they said $1400. However, I've since found several "Honda Care" Web sites that list Honda Care pricing. The best price I've found is $1075 for this plan (D82). I printed this out and will ask them to better it. You can see the pricing here: www.jayhondacare.com.

All in all, this has been very time consuming (keyboard, mainly). But in the end, I think I'm getting a heck of a deal.

I do hope this helps someone

I hope this info helps someone!

Webby - the pro pack was primarily wheel locks, these ugly mud flaps and I believe a trunk tray. Just a way for the dealer to squeeze out more $$. I found a dealer that didn't add any crap to their cars.

Thanks for the leather link. The installer did a great job. I question the buyers choice in leather color, however :SHOCKED:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Which dealership are you going to?? I hope you are not going to vandergriff! Your're in for a big surprise if you are. I bought mine at huggins back in xmas and was only to get sticker, but they gave me payoff on my pickup so i was pleased. Sounds like a real nice car, gotta post some pics when you get home!!!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I think the dealer he is refering too is David MCdavid in Irving. I saw this car sitting on the showroom floor. Very nice looking car if its the one I'm refering too. Propack is what the dealer calls add on's or packing their vehicle's, and its not worth paying for! Its about $50.00 worth of Items and there charging $450.00 for it. The leather maybe worth the price, but in this hot Texas climate the leather is really worthless especially in the summer time! The most I would give them for the car is about $18,500 with the leather.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi guys --- sorry for the delay. Yes, I was dealing with Mc Dravid and Mc Nratt (Drenton). Those two, IMHO, had the most responsive Internet managers ready to deal. Hug grins wouldn't deal, and I didn't necessarily like what I read/heard about vand r griff.

Update --- I never made the deal on the Accord. But, I did get an e-mail from mr. david yesterday saying he would beat my best (accord) price by $500 and give me 4.9% financing. Now that is interesting ---

So, that means I can get an '06 Accord EX-L (leather - and I do prefer it in the summer :party: ) 4-cyl would be $23,985 out the door. The sticker on the car is $25,850 or so. Crazy. What do you think?

And does anyone have a Web site with cheap Honda Care warranties? The best I found on a 8yr/120k $0 deductable was $1075.

Yes, the propack is garbage. From what I've seen, Brank stron and Mc Dravid install it on many cars. Mc Nratt doesn't at all. I really like those guys in Drenton --- they seem very honest and concerned about maintaining a long-term relationship with you.

71Rcode

1 - 8 of 8 Posts