8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this week my Si has been randomly turning off out of nowhere.
I have ruled out the batter, starter, and alternator. My cousin says it could be my fuel pump or something else entirely.
I looked here and i saw someone say it could be a TCS (Torque Converter Solenoid) but i cant even find the part on the honda parts site at all. I have a feeling thats only for automatics.

So more info on what's happening like i said it started turning off randomly when i slow down at a light and the other day it did it after i was in the car idle after about 6 to 9 minutes after turning it on this was after i had already driven it for like over an hour as i do Courier work.

Today i was headed to a delivery when it just outright turned off completely usually it would turn off and right back on, this time it did that twice in the span of under 5 min. Now remembering awhile back this happened maybe 3 times before but not so sporadic like this week. The first time it happened as i was turning into a warehouse and the car just shut off but didnt turn back on, at the time i thought it was electrical as turning my radio off made it not do it since. Then again maybe a few weeks later only it turned off and right back on.

Not having any clue what it could be besides possibly what i mentioned above of what i assume it is i am stumped.

The car atm has above 215k miles on it ive replace a few things already thats wear n tear and had the head done in may-june.

I plan to replace the fuel pump regardless as i think its the original it came with back in 07 anyways.

Im asking about this anyways incase it does end up being something else. Thanks ahead of time for any help.

· Registered
735 Posts
I know this sounds too simple to possibly be the issue, but clean the terminals on the battery and make sure the connections are on tight before spending any more time on this (and add some dielectric grease for good measure). I had nearly the exact same thing happen to me, including the car losing power at stop lights. I went through a bunch of troubleshooting before circling back to the terminal connections because they SEEMED on there just fine, but they were just the tiniest bit loose and apparently that's enough to cause the electrical circuit to be incomplete when the alternator isn't putting out a ton of power (like when you're stopped at a light). The buildup of corrosion on the terminal and connectors really reduces their ability to make solid connections.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know this sounds too simple to possibly be the issue, but clean the terminals on the battery and make sure the connections are on tight before spending any more time on this (and add some dielectric grease for good measure). I had nearly the exact same thing happen to me, including the car losing power at stop lights. I went through a bunch of troubleshooting before circling back to the terminal connections because they SEEMED on there just fine, but they were just the tiniest bit loose and apparently that's enough to cause the electrical circuit to be incomplete when the alternator isn't putting out a ton of power (like when you're stopped at a light). The buildup of corrosion on the terminal and connectors really reduces their ability to make solid connections.
Thanks i normaly see small corrosion build up on my positive all the time and usually clean it up right away will do this n drive it a whole day to see if that ends up being the problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts