8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
I read that article back in April. The officer in the plane looks more for people swerving from lane to lane and driving recklessly than for just speeders. The officer sounded like a pretty good Joe IMO.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
After the 205mph ticket given out a while back by one of those planes it's pretty obvious there is a LOT of room for error when it comes to a stop watch and 1/4 mile white marks on the road.

·
Premium Member
19,580 Posts
I thought it was a load of **** too. I thought the signs were all BS. THen about 4 weeks ago I was driving to philly and I was on 95s and out of nowehre this REALLY bright light is over me and I thought I was getting pulled over. I didnt see a cop. THen my boy told me to look up :pat: The helicopter followed me for like 3 miles with his spotlight on me. I wasnt sure what to do lol. So finally he turned it off, and was practically invisible in the sky again...

Nice find to the OP.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Basically here in Los Angeles County I've only seen a few sets of those white lines that this article has talked about. I've seen the signs but don't see the white lines.

·
Banned
13,587 Posts
+1 to you man, good find and read. Reason why I normally do no more than 10 mph over the limit.

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
Don't like revenue cops. But at least it looks like they only go after aggressive driving speeders. Plus it looks like the officers are smart enough to write the ticket not for speeding but for other violations like following to close. Since the airplane speeding could be hard to get a guilty verdict on.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
illusionstwice said:
I thought it was a load of **** too. I thought the signs were all BS. THen about 4 weeks ago I was driving to philly and I was on 95s and out of nowehre this REALLY bright light is over me and I thought I was getting pulled over. I didnt see a cop. THen my boy told me to look up :pat: The helicopter followed me for like 3 miles with his spotlight on me. I wasnt sure what to do lol. So finally he turned it off, and was practically invisible in the sky again...

Nice find to the OP.

Where to in Philly?

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Great read--I always wondered how that speed enforcement from the air worked. I liked his piece about being too high up to be prejudiced against bumper stickers, gun racks or modified cars. Bottom line: don't drive recklessly through traffic. I

·
Premium Member
19,580 Posts
CivicCoupe06 said:
Where to in Philly?
95 south. I was headed to the club... lol. The portion of 95S where its like 5 lanes. Ya know?? Where u can see the city.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I've driven down route 23 a few times and saw the markings on the road and whatnot but I never actually thought there was somebody really up there in a cessna lol.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I read this article in the magainze a while back in a grocery store. Good find. I love especially how he would pull over an ambulance and considers them fair game too. I always wondered about that.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I like that he calls off 18 wheelers, I can't stand it when the are in the left lanes going 10 mph over the speed limit and kickin up rocks everywhere.

·
Registered
85 Posts
this is so last year, I saw it on TV news already. hahahha
In socal there a few sign saying....mmmm.... something airplaine enforce kind of like Photo enforce.

·
Registered
41 Posts
"Yea, he's equipped" :police:

Well in Texas we are getting SPECS...thats just f'n great! :eek:mg:

Won't even need air patrol, because SPECS will do it for them, automatically. :eek:hsnap:

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
illusionstwice said:
Must have been THE GHOST LIIIIIIIGHT!!!:eek:hnoes:

Seriously, though, we just got two red light cameras here in town and there has been no end to the b1tching. I can't imagine how local drivers would howl about an eye in the sky.

But it's cool stuff nonetheless.

·
Registered
41 Posts
CatScratched said:
Must have been THE GHOST LIIIIIIIGHT!!!:eek:hnoes:

Seriously, though, we just got two red light cameras here in town and there has been no end to the b1tching. I can't imagine how local drivers would howl about an eye in the sky.

But it's cool stuff nonetheless.
Just 2? :chill:

We got a 11 added to the previous ones just last month.

SPECS is a speed camera system, it basically does the job of air patrol, but automatically.

Lets say this is how the road looks:

------------------------------------------------------------------
You :vtec: SPEED LIMIT = 55
------------------*A------------------------------------*B--------

Basically you're going along, minding your own business and nobody is in front of you, leaving you with a couple of nice wide open lanes...

While going along, you pass a certain spot on the road (Point A); as you pass it your picture is taken (regardless of speed) and you continue to drive in the through the wide open lanes....

Before you know it, you've reached point B. Once you've reached point B, your cars data is calculated, ie: how many secs it took you to get from point A to point B, and if you happen to have a lil bit of a quick time than what you should have had, guess what a ticket will be mailed to you.

Here is the bad part, the ticket is not from a human, so a good cop (oxymoron) won't let you off the hook for being 8-10 MPH over, instead its from an automated system.

And the system has +/- 3-5 MPH inaccuracy.

Therefore you could have (very unlikely) been doing 59 MPH from point A to point B, but being the lucky person that you are, the system calculated it as 54 MPH :biggrin:

Or you could have been doing 53 the whole time and the system calculated that you were doing 58 MPH. :eek:mg:

Initially they wanted to have companies bid for the opportunity to put these speed enforcements up for no cost to the Police, while the companies raked in money from the revenue of the tickets.

Legislation said no and we thought we were good...

But now they want to use Fed money to put them up and rake in all the revenue themselves.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts