8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
You have to pay for the trim either way, if you want to get a new chrome piece or the color matched trim piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Wow, I'm absolutely going to check mine out soon. I got the paper in the mail about a month ago and didn't think much of it. I took a peek at the fake chrome piece while I was washing it last week and noticed the chrome plating was detatching from the plastic and bubbling a bit and figured this was what the warranty extension was for, not REAL rust!

Since my car is already black I'll just order the 08 black piece :) thanks!!!!!!

·
Registered
304 Posts
I took my car in for an oil change at the dealer about a month ago and they said I was due for the trunk recall. They took it apart and took pictures of it then told me there was rust. They took the car in for the work to be done about 3 weeks ago and fixed it all up.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
I took my car in for an oil change at the dealer about a month ago and they said I was due for the trunk recall. They took it apart and took pictures of it then told me there was rust. They took the car in for the work to be done about 3 weeks ago and fixed it all up.
Did they replace it with a new color matched trim piece, or chrome trim?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was looking at the chrome piece on my trunk and wondered, could the Honda badge and other chrome ( civic and si ) badges also produce rust as they too are dissimilar metals ?

anyone had trouble w/ them ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I was looking at the chrome piece on my trunk and wondered, could the Honda badge and other chrome ( civic and si ) badges also produce rust as they too are dissimilar metals ?

anyone had trouble w/ them ?
You know that's a good question. Every car I've ever owned has had chrome emblems but I don't think I've kept them long enough to find out. I'll have to look around today... I don't recall seeing rust coming from badges before.

I think the problem with the chrome trim is the bottom corner of it is a great place for salty water to collect during the winter. It's so enclosed that it doesn't dry out quickly, whereas the badges are exposed to the air so any salt water that gets between the badge and the body might dry before it has a chance to do any damage.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Well, got the Si back. Trunk is good as new, and they replaced the fasteners on the trunk trim when they put the black one back on. They said that if I ever want to switch back to the chrome, I should just use the new fasteners because those were part of the issue as well.

I had a brand new CRV EX as a courtesy car. I have a 2003, so it was a good chance to compare - the best way I can explain it, the new one is more car, less truck. (I know, anyone who claims even the 2003 was a truck is crazy, but compared to what crossovers have become, yes - it's basically a truck. It's a basic hauler and I'm not afraid to throw dirty bikes or siberian huskies in it!).

The gen 4 CRV feels smaller on the inside than the gen 2. It felt so much smaller that I started taking measurements and the results were a bit surprising - the only dimensions with significant (>1/2") differences were the cargo height (10" taller in the Gen2) and load length from the liftover to the tumbled seats in the Gen2 or the back of the front seats in the Gen4 (since it has fold flats, the Gen 4 is 10" longer in this dimension).

Overall, for what I personally use my CRV for, the Gen 2 just "feels" better. It has the flip-up window glass so I can use it to haul lumber and ladders. It's not brand new, so I don't have to worry about gouging up the interior with bikes or letting dogs scratch it up.

But damn is that new one quiet and refined, to the point where it's actually NICER than the Passat GLX 4Motion I used to have. The Passat felt amazing but was a royal pain in the wallet.

I couldn't figure out how to work the Bluetooth, and I work in IT. Maybe the dealer had it locked so borrowers wouldn't all sync a million phones to it.

Mileage is amazing. I averaged about 5MPG better than my Gen2. However, my Gen2 was 11k and the new one is close to 30k - 19k buys a LOT of gas!

·
Registered
925 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I was wondering if this affects all 09-11 sedans or just the SI? I have a 2010 LX sedan and it has the same chrome strip on the trunk lid.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I was wondering if this affects all 09-11 sedans or just the SI? I have a 2010 LX sedan and it has the same chrome strip on the trunk lid.
I also have a 2010 civic lx-s with the same issue... wonder if I am too late if I am covered..

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Do you guys think they will still cover the rust in the trunk. I just picked up a Fa5 09 white with some rust in the rear end.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts