8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the forum and didnt have any luck, I had heard that maybe B&M was coming out with a "True short shifter" for our cars. Does anyone know more about this or other companies that are making this type of SS?

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
i think hes refering to a completely new shifter assembly incorporating the shorter throw. why its needed i dont know considering the drop ins are quite effective.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i think hes refering to a completely new shifter assembly incorporating the shorter throw. why its needed i dont know considering the drop ins are quite effective.
:yeahthat:
22% is not a whole lot considering that some cars can achieve as much as
40+.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
true but if the throw is short enough and your shifts are fast enough you'll actually shift faster then the syncros can keep up with. causing premature grindings.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Even then, our car's didn't have much of a throw to it to begin with.

So, let's say a guy in a tractor has a 40% reduction in his shift throw. And we have ours. Ours is still significantly shorter even though the percentage of the tractors reduction was larger. All depends on how much of a throw was there to begin with.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I realize that a 40% reduction on our cars would be ridiculous, I was just stating that to prove we could use a little more reduction. But a 40% reduction on the older model civics would be about right, shifting an 03-05 civic is like going park to D1 in an auto.

·
Kansas Chainsaw Massacre
6,296 Posts
I realize that a 40% reduction on our cars would be ridiculous, I was just stating that to prove we could use a little more reduction. But a 40% reduction on the older model civics would be about right, shifting an 03-05 civic is like going park to D1 in an auto.

right, if I had a shifter built into the floorboard, I could achieve 40%... is 20% not good enough, though? our shifter shifts so quickly as it is, we almost don't need a short shifter.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
I've seen some cars that could double as a tae-bo workout....

Our cars shift is awesome, with the SS its perfect...

Speaking of all this, I've got the TWM SS w/ base bushings, but do the cable bushings add much difference? I might pick some up if it makes the shift better.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
everyone ive talked to said it takes the sloppyness out of it and makes it shift rock solid perfect. thats why mine are on order ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts