8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a flip key I bought (Honda Accord Civic CRV 3+1 Button Folding Flip Key Shell Remote Case Fob) off of Ebay.

I brought the key to Ace Hardware, which had provided me a spare key in the past to the Civic and programmed it.

The "guts" of the OEM key I put in the flip key after the flip key was cut and I was not able to start the Civic. It would turn over but not start.

I put the "guts" back into the OEM key and the car starts. I assumed the transponder was in the "guts" but now know different.

I will use the flip key as an emergency key to get into the car in case I get locked out.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Here's the link to the DIY
I did mine a couple years ago..
It goes well with the car.
Freshens it up

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You need to remove the Transponder and place it into the little slot the Ebay key provides.
Where is the transponder located in the OEM key FOB where do I put it in the flip key? I though the transponder would have been in the entire assembly that has the lock/unlock buttons in it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Where is the transponder located in the OEM key FOB where do I put it in the flip key? I though the transponder would have been in the entire assembly that has the lock/unlock buttons in it.
It is in the assembly..
I recommend reading that link I shared, it gives you all the info you need for this swap :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is in the assembly..
I recommend reading that link I shared, it gives you all the info you need for this swap :) View attachment 244983
Thank you. Now I understand why you have to remove the transponder and get it closer to the flip key part.

I'm going to pass on the soldering and just keep the keys I have. I will take the flip key part that is already cut and use that as my emergency key that I will hide under the car somewhere.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you. Now I understand why you have to remove the transponder and get it closer to the flip key part.

I'm going to pass on the soldering and just keep the keys I have. I will take the flip key part that is already cut and use that as my emergency key that I will hide under the car somewhere.
If you have a valet key, you can cut that open and find the transponder in a plastic shell. That one will not need to be soldered in your new key either, so if soldering is keeping you back you can try using the valet key. I accidentally burned myself on a soldering iron a few times doing this conversion before finding the valet key and finding it much easier.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Took a flip key I bought (Honda Accord Civic CRV 3+1 Button Folding Flip Key Shell Remote Case Fob) off of Ebay.

I brought the key to Ace Hardware, which had provided me a spare key in the past to the Civic and programmed it.

The "guts" of the OEM key I put in the flip key after the flip key was cut and I was not able to start the Civic. It would turn over but not start.

I put the "guts" back into the OEM key and the car starts. I assumed the transponder was in the "guts" but now know different.

I will use the flip key as an emergency key to get into the car in case I get locked out.

View attachment 244976
Once you get the flip key, it will need to be cut and reprogrammed within that key and to the car, you cannot just swap it over :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Once you get the flip key, it will need to be cut and reprogrammed within that key and to the car, you cannot just swap it over :)
According to JCarter I would have to unsolder the transponder and move it closer to the flip key portion. Not willing to do that.

·
Registered
97 Posts
According to JCarter I would have to unsolder the transponder and move it closer to the flip key portion. Not willing to do that.
Nah, I didn't need to do that. The sensor is measured based on how close it to the ignition is when it is inserted. It will need to be reprogrammed to the car's system. I got the same key from Amazon or eBay, can't remember but I ended up going with a key from my 'local' locksmith and he hooked me up with everything (reprogramming the valet key, the key that I got from him) for $90. If I get a chance, I will try and send a picture over of the key I have. It is a lot firmer than the one I got from Ama/Bay.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts