8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 07 Si with 164k, test drove it and everything, shifted smooth, felt great. But one thing I noticed was that when I was at redline in 1st gear, i would miss 2nd. I origionally thought I was just rusty (7 months without driving stick). But then I got back to normal, and it still did it. I immediately serviced that transmission, and still, only at like 7,800- redline, it will not make it into 2nd. Rarely it does, but 9/10 it won’t go into gear. But it shifts like butter otherwise. I also think it’s starting to happen in some of the other gears too. Had a hard time with 4th and 5th earlier today. Any ideas?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just bought an 07 Si with 164k, test drove it and everything, shifted smooth, felt great. But one thing I noticed was that when I was at redline in 1st gear, i would miss 2nd. I origionally thought I was just rusty (7 months without driving stick). But then I got back to normal, and it still did it. I immediately serviced that transmission, and still, only at like 7,800- redline, it will not make it into 2nd. Rarely it does, but 9/10 it won’t go into gear. But it shifts like butter otherwise. I also think it’s starting to happen in some of the other gears too. Had a hard time with 4th and 5th earlier today. Any ideas?
How does it feel with the engine off?
Can you go through the gears fine?

·
Registered
130 Posts
When I got a new clutch slave cylinder I was getting a very similar problem. I just needed to adjust the clutch pedal. The problem is from the clutch not 100% disengaging.

is good tutorial on how to do it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
When was the clutch replaced last? Clutch release bearing could be a possible cause. But suggest that you check the master and slave clutch cylinders first.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the exact same issue with my 06 with around the same miles. I went through pretty much every option to fix the issue and they helped but never stopped the problem.
From my experience the hasport drivers side mount and rear mount made the biggest difference

·
Registered
167 Posts
Not going Into gear as in grinding when you go to shift into second?
If so it's a very common problem with the 8th gen si. Mine did it new. Problem was il n the clutch master cylinder. As mentioned here, it doesnt 100% release the clutch fast enough all the time. Theres a bunch of ways people have worked around it though. I chose to change the cmc to an older straight style instead of the 90 degree bend the factory one makes. Haven't had the problem since, and that was 7 years ago.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Yep....

Plenty of aftermarket master cylinder replacement's, and upgrade kits. Hybrid Racing must still have them...even S2000 retro fits.

Remember, any air in the system can cause issues, and have a Honda tuner/builder install, and adjust the system.

Also, your new clutch may be misaligned, or some other small issue.

Good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I’ve heard the best way to fix the tranny issues would be First better trans fluid like Amsoil or redline different CMC(clutch master cylinder) or adjust the stock CMC and I’ve heard for some it could help to even get a short shifter kit or get new bearings/bushings in the cables and such. My 07 SI is at 145k I bought it at 135 k I noticed it wasn’t the smoothest shifting into 2nd and 3rd at redline It would rarely lock out of the gears tho. I put Amsoil synchromesh in and it’s a lot better now I haven’t been locked out sence. I haven’t touched anything else on mine, but I might do a new CMC soon.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yeah, it shifts perfect on or off, just not at redline. I’m seeing a lot of stuff about the 90 degree CMC line tho, might start with that
Ok.. So try this..
Pump your Clutch pedal all the way down a few times let off then go into your hood and check if you can push the Slave Cylinder IN by hand..
Or if its rock solid with no play.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not going Into gear as in grinding when you go to shift into second?
If so it's a very common problem with the 8th gen si. Mine did it new. Problem was il n the clutch master cylinder. As mentioned here, it doesnt 100% release the clutch fast enough all the time. Theres a bunch of ways people have worked around it though. I chose to change the cmc to an older straight style instead of the 90 degree bend the factory one makes. Haven't had the problem since, and that was 7 years ago.
It doesn’t grind at all, just locks out, almost feels like something is in the way
Ok.. So try this..
Pump your Clutch pedal all the way down a few times let off then go into your hood and check if you can push the Slave Cylinder IN by hand..
okay, I’ll try it tomorrow at work and let you know. Thank you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok.. So try this..
I pumped the clutch while I had my manager push on the slave cylinder (I’m a lube tech) he said it didn’t have any play, only up and down, but he couldn’t push it in, what does that mean?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I pumped the clutch while I had my manager push on the slave cylinder (I’m a lube tech) he said it didn’t have any play, only up and down, but he couldn’t push it in, what does that mean?
Thanks for the Info.
So,
It could mean a couple things..
Its simple however.
I dont know if you did but, shouldn't try to push it in while pressing on the clutch btw.
What you want is to be able to push slave in and it goes back out like a spring. I'll proly show a vid.
If you cant push it back you could still be in the friction zone as you try to shift into the next gear. This all has to do with the Adjustment on the CMC rod.
Have you adjusted it lately?
And was your clutch fluid replaced too?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the Info.
So,
It could mean a couple things..
Its simple however.
I dont know if you did but, shouldn't try to push it in while pressing on the clutch btw.
What you want is to be able to push slave in and it goes back out like a spring. I'll proly show a vid.
If you cant push it back you could still be in the friction zone as you try to shift into the next gear. This all has to do with the Adjustment on the CMC rod.
Have you adjusted it lately?
And was your clutch fluid replaced too?
Tbh I don’t know what the cmc rod is, I haven’t adjusted anything. I also have not replaced the clutch fluid

1 - 14 of 14 Posts