8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a civic ex 2006. The transmission fluid is brown and smells a little burnt. Last time changed was with 50k mile as I saw in maintenance history, now is 133k. Should I change the fluid and the at filter or should I leave it alone?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd change it. Do 3 drain and fills (~2.5 qts). One now, one maybe a week later and so on.
Ok. Thanks for the info. I thought about changing it but everyone I know is...no leave it, transmission will break later, it will not shift and will slip bla bla. Honestly I think if I leave it the same metal shaves in the oil will make it fail eventually. I believe my best chance is to go for it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ok. Thanks for the info. I thought about changing it but everyone I know is...no leave it, transmission will break later, it will not shift and will slip bla bla. Honestly I think if I leave it the same metal shaves in the oil will make it fail eventually. I believe my best chance is to go for it.
I second the guy above - I would do one drain / fill, drive it for a thousand or so miles and make sure it's not slipping, then do another - just to be safe. The concern about wear particles helping keep the bands from slipping in a tranny that hasn't been well maintained is real. 83k miles is a long time to go without fresh fluid.

·
Registered
73 Posts
When the transmission in any car has been neglected, either way you are taking a chance. If you change it, the fresh fluid could break loose some of the gunk that is built up and actually helping to seal things. There are videos on youtube discussing whether or not it is a good idea. But then if you don't...

But now in you car, though 83K is a lot of miles since the last change, it might be a safe bet that changing it will do more good than harm. This is especially because our cars are not really known for transmission problems.

One thing though - our cars are not the smoothest shifting thing on the planet so if you have noticed you can kind of feel 1st to 2nd or other shifts, don't worry too much,

·
Super Moderator
2,187 Posts
As someone who has close to 300K on their transmission, CHANGE IT! Do a few drain/fills and you should be good to go. Do not have it flushed. What EpistleNo.18 is right, IF your transmission hasn't been changed in 200,000 miles, however you appear to have about 80K on that fluid which isn't horrible. Anyway, here is a link on how to do it . The filter I wouldn't worry about it too much, if you want to tackle it, go ahead, but I think you can get away without doing it. I have yet to change mine. (then again, I never gave it a chance to get dirty,........ YMMV)

I've been draining/filling my ATF since 30K and my fluid is always pink/red. Shifts nice and crisp, although it does get squirrely when cold, but it's been doing that since new.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When the transmission in any car has been neglected, either way you are taking a chance. If you change it, the fresh fluid could break loose some of the gunk that is built up and actually helping to seal things. There are videos on youtube discussing whether or not it is a good idea. But then if you don't...

But now in you car, though 83K is a lot of miles since the last change, it might be a safe bet that changing it will do more good than harm. This is especially because our cars are not really known for transmission problems.

One thing though - our cars are not the smoothest shifting thing on the planet so if you have noticed you can kind of feel 1st to 2nd or other shifts, don't worry too much,
EpistleNo.81 Thanks. The shifting from 1st to 2nd is what got me thinking. If I go slow I can feel how it changes, however stepping a little on gas I can barely notice it. So when I checked the fluid I saw brown and thought: maybe if I change it will shift better on low rpm but then there is all the bs related with servicing an old tranny. But again, thanks and I'll go for it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I changed my ATF around 155k and I think mine was close to original. I changed it 3 times splitting it once a week and changed the filter the last service it got. The filter was worth changing as it's only $20 and refreshed the fluid in there. My color is a mix of red and pink. In your case, I would change it. if it seizes up or slips, then the transmission was already f****.

It was a major pain in the a** to change so be aware of that. Other than that, my tranny is good and shifts very smooth other than the clunks it gets due to the stupid electronic throttle body.

·
Super Moderator
2,187 Posts
I changed my ATF around 155k and I think mine was close to original. I changed it 3 times splitting it once a week and changed the filter the last service it got. The filter was worth changing as it's only $20 and refreshed the fluid in there. My color is a mix of red and pink. In your case, I would change it. if it seizes up or slips, then the transmission was already f****.

It was a major pain in the a** to change so be aware of that. Other than that, my tranny is good and shifts very smooth other than the clunks it gets due to the stupid electronic throttle body.
Just to be clear, changing the ATF is stupid easy, changing the ATF filter could be a PITA, LOL.

·
Registered
109 Posts
In your case, I would change it. if it seizes up or slips, then the transmission was already f****.
This article would disagree with you.

·
Registered
203 Posts
This article would disagree with you.

I would only change the fluid if the transmission is working correctly as it should. If the tranny was slipping, then I would start looking for a junkyard transmission as I know the old one is trashed (imaginary scenario).

·
Registered
2010 Si sedan 86k for sale
59 Posts
If the clutch pack friction material is suspended in the fluid, your fluid chnage will be removing it. You will then have fresh fluid without the friction material suspended in there and the new fluid will also wash and clean out things and that's actually bad because again, the suspended fritction material.
Just got a civic ex 2006. The transmission fluid is brown and smells a little burnt. Last time changed was with 50k mile as I saw in maintenance history, now is 133k. Should I change the fluid and the at filter or should I leave it alone?
Do a drain and fill yourself. A drain and fill only removes a little fluid while the car is off. Unscrew the drain bolt on the oil pan of the trans and then refill through the dip stick, use a funnel. Will cost you about $15-20 for a gallon of fluid at Walmart and a funnel. Do one drain and fill, drive it and repeat.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I would only change the fluid if the transmission is working correctly as it should. If the tranny was slipping, then I would start looking for a junkyard transmission as I know the old one is trashed (imaginary scenario).
The point of the article is - if the fluid looks / smells burnt but the transmission is working fine, you are taking chances if you change it. Not a chance I would take with an older car where it might not be worth the cost of replacing the tranny. You had said go ahead and change it, if it slips or seizes it was screwed anyways. Bad advice IMO - and according to that article. The OP never said his tranny was doing anything suspicious.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts