8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, small question.

Do you guys get a small clunk when you for example, let go of the gas for a couple of seconds, and then get back on it quick? because when i do that, i get a small clunk from the tranny/engine. It feels like the transmission is confused on what gear it is at.

I just want your opinion if you have this exact issue? I replaced all 4 mounts, and changed the ATF a while back ago, and didn't resolve the small clunk. It's annoying as i like the car to run smooth like a 4 speed Toyota.

I'm aware that Honda is not the best at making automatic transmissions.

·
Registered
2007 Honda Civic Coupe EX
20 Posts
Hey guys, small question.

Do you guys get a small clunk when you for example, let go of the gas for a couple of seconds, and then get back on it quick? because when i do that, i get a small clunk from the tranny/engine. It feels like the transmission is confused on what gear it is at.

I just want your opinion if you have this exact issue? I replaced all 4 mounts, and changed the ATF a while back ago, and didn't resolve the small clunk. It's annoying as i like the car to run smooth like a 4 speed Toyota.

I'm aware that Honda is not the best at making automatic transmissions.
Hey man, I have the same exact issue and I think it is a common problem for others too. I tried researching this problem thinking I have transmission problems already at 95k (slipping). I constantly look at the tach to see if theres any funny movement when I get that "clunk" pressing on the gas quick. Its something called a Drive by wire. I dont really know the mechanics behind it but I heard its one of the quirks that is normalized by owners. Most say its normal and they say the auto trans isnt as problematic as the 7th gens. This can be avoided by gently pressing the gas though.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hey man, I have the same exact issue and I think it is a common problem for others too. I tried researching this problem thinking I have transmission problems already at 95k (slipping). I constantly look at the tach to see if theres any funny movement when I get that "clunk" pressing on the gas quick. Its something called a Drive by wire. I dont really know the mechanics behind it but I heard its one of the quirks that is normalized by owners. Most say its normal and they say the auto trans isnt as problematic as the 7th gens. This can be avoided by gently pressing the gas though.
Here's a whole thread about it

·
Super Moderator
2,147 Posts
It's not an issue or problem. They all do that. Mine too since new. How to prevent it: go easy on the throttle. "Problem" solved. I've had my rig for 13 years and 294,000 miles. Original motor and tranny.

Good night.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts