8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question I know alot of people have problems with their 2nd and 3rd gear. I haven't had this problem yet so i kinda want to prevent this ( If I Can). I was wondering what is the best tranny fluid to put in the tranny? My car only has 4100 miles on it and I'm also wondering when i should change it. Should i wait till down the road or should i change it now?

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
I just put Pennzoil Synchromesh in mine over the weekend and the difference is night and day. Shifts are incredibly easy and there is no notchiness now. It took 30 minutes, and the stuff is only $6.99 a quart at AutoZone. The S2000 camp and RSX camp love the stuff and so far I'm completely sold on it and will use it in the future again.

I doubt you'll see any ill-effects from changing it right now BTW. As far as preventing it goes, it's a design flaw in the transmissions so there's really no preventing issues like 3rd gear pop-out from happening. Gear grinding shouldn't really happen, though, so that would be more of a defect/warranty repair type of deal.

·
Premium Member
98,627 Posts
i heard that a lot of people used it so i wanted to try it out. so far its the best MTF i have used. i had the oem stuff and amsoil, which both really made it notchy into gears. the amsoil mtf would make my 2nd grind at high rpm. so now after 7k miles i went back to gm fluid and its better than the amsoil.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info, i will probably change it this coming spring. I can't do it now cause i dont have the tools and my cars sits in the garage for the winter time and besides its to cold to be laying on the garage floor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.