8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I had an 07 Civic EX Sedan less than a year ago and traded it in for a 08 Accord sedan. I got a great deal and wasn't upside down on it (thanks to the gas crisis they wanted my used civic bad). Well now not even a year later the Accord is getting traded in tomorrow. I don't hate the car but man did Honda ever drop the ball with this version. The seats are really uncomfortable even with short distances, there is a lot of road noise, and I think I can count over a dozen rattles since I drove it off the lot. I originally wanted to trade up to the Accord for the kids so I would have more room. The civic worked fine with two car seats but I figured the extra room would help. What I found out was that 90% of the time my wife and I drive the SUV around with the kids while the accord stayed home. The road noise is not horrible but no previous accords had it this bad. I know the civic has some noise also but it was far more tolerable in the long run. The Accord is simply to big and literally dwarfs the previous generation accord (and that's not a good thing at least for me). It's not a boat but it feels that way at times when you drive it. The car simply doesn't drive as smooth as my old Civic. I am hopefully going to break even on my loan tomorrow which is great considering I have only had it for 8 months. I will then be back in the Civic fold hopefully. I think I wrote to much :).

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
I test drove the new Accord coupe, and while it looks sexy, I felt like I was driving a boat. It was so ungodly big and awkward to drive. The whole drive felt disconnected compared to previous Accords. I can truly say the last gen Accord was one of the best driving sedans I've driven in a long time.

But that said, I would imagine the quality on the Accord is much higher than the Civic. Are you sure you want to trade downwards?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I test drove the new Accord coupe, and while it looks sexy, I felt like I was driving a boat. It was so ungodly big and awkward to drive. The whole drive felt disconnected compared to previous Accords. I can truly say the last gen Accord was one of the best driving sedans I've driven in a long time.

But that said, I would imagine the quality on the Accord is much higher than the Civic. Are you sure you want to trade downwards?

Honestly I don't really consider it a downgrade. I have an LX Accord so I would getting my sunroof back with the Civic along with a few other features I miss. The car is marginally faster than my old Civic because of the weight difference. Quality is something I have been really disappointed in with the new Accord. I have never had so many rattles/creaks in any Honda I have ever owned (and I have had it less than a year!). The build quality of the seats actually feels cheaper than on my 07 civic. They are a little better than my sister's Hyundai Sonata (good car but not quite Honda quality) but not by much. The doors clank shut compared to my Civic that had a nice thud sound. The road noise is really loud. I know the civic isn't very quiet either but I expected more from a big car especially with the Accord name. To top it all off, I have never had so much trouble keeping a Honda "swirl free" when I wash it. I have had the car professionally buffed only to have every single swirl mark come right back. I wash my own cars and only use microfiber cloths (quite a few each time I was so they are clean) and a no rinse solution, nothing abrasive. I never had that issue on any of my other Honda's. I am not saying I got a lemon but I have had a lot of issues that normally Honda is not known for. I like Honda though and the one time I strayed to another brand, I payed for it dearly (mitsubishi eclipse).

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't hate the car but man did Honda ever drop the ball with this version. The seats are really uncomfortable even with short distances, there is a lot of road noise,
I would look at a different brand of car. I like the Civic it's a nice looking car and handles nice and I always wanted one, but now that I own one, I find the road noise is just horrible with this car. I'm very disappointed in this Honda, the road noise and the gear whine in the cabin really makes the Civic a unpleasant car for me to drive.

I really regret trading my 09 Corolla for this noisy 09 Civic. Yea, I know people will say why did you trade in the first place..well, I fell for the hype that I read in the press about how good the Civic is...how it is the top of the bar for other cars in this class to match...and the Corolla was less of a car than the Civic and of coarse I have always liked the looks of the Civic. It's funny how the press never really talks about just how noisy this car is..they just sorta of graze over the cabin noise issue.

Well, after owning both cars I can say all the hype with the Civic in the press was bull. The Corolla rode very quiet and plush compared to the Civic, and the Corolla just felt more refined to me. I really miss that now. I would gladly trade back to the Corolla if I could, but trading this 09 Civic off is just too expensive. I put money down on this 09 Civic when I bought it and I still can't get enough in trade to pay off the loan, so I'm stuck with this car that is as noisy as my friends old 1993 Ford compact car. I expected more from Honda.The overall car is nice, but the road and gear whine noise are just horrible for a modern car.

·
Registered
350 Posts
The Accord is simply to big and literally dwarfs the previous generation accord.
You noticed this too. Was talking to my Chevy dealer about trading an '04 Impala for an '08 Impala before I bought the Civic. To my surprise, the local Honda dealer was undercutting them on price for a comparable equipped '08 Accord. The new Accord and the Impala are the same dimenentions which started a big argument with the Chevy dealer over price/value.

·
Registered
11,037 Posts

hey ringpop...ull love my 7 gen accord i had then...well i hope so...i did body kit rims headlights tail lights...and a bunch of other stuff u didnt see on the accords in 06 but u do know...i did all the work myself including the paint job....here is pics
the miracle foundation car show fund raiser

spring fling 07

spring fling 07

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Thats a nice accord and doesnt look tachy. Thats something you dont see done to those accords. The best thing to laugh at is the people who just mismatch colors on the body kits and throw them on like that and turns out to be colors of the rainbow haha. Its one thing if the money isnt there to paint it but dam at least have it matching

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would look at a different brand of car. I like the Civic it's a nice looking car and handles nice and I always wanted one, but now that I own one, I find the road noise is just horrible with this car. I'm very disappointed in this Honda, the road noise and the gear whine in the cabin really makes the Civic a unpleasant car for me to drive.

I really regret trading my 09 Corolla for this noisy 09 Civic. Yea, I know people will say why did you trade in the first place..well, I fell for the hype that I read in the press about how good the Civic is...how it is the top of the bar for other cars in this class to match...and the Corolla was less of a car than the Civic and of coarse I have always liked the looks of the Civic. It's funny how the press never really talks about just how noisy this car is..they just sorta of graze over the cabin noise issue.

Well, after owning both cars I can say all the hype with the Civic in the press was bull. The Corolla rode very quiet and plush compared to the Civic, and the Corolla just felt more refined to me. I really miss that now. I would gladly trade back to the Corolla if I could, but trading this 09 Civic off is just too expensive. I put money down on this 09 Civic when I bought it and I still can't get enough in trade to pay off the loan, so I'm stuck with this car that is as noisy as my friends old 1993 Ford compact car. I expected more from Honda.The overall car is nice, but the road and gear whine noise are just horrible for a modern car.
I don't remember my 07 Civic being that loud but maybe they changed something or it got worse for the 09 year. If it is as bad as you say I will definitely keep that in mind when I got for a test drive tomorrow. I know when I got my Accord, I immediately noticed an increase in engine and road noise when I was driving compared to my old Civic. The thing is I really like the resale value on the Honda. It's the only brand I have been able to trade in a year or two after after purchasing it and break even (instead of upside down on my loan). The one time I bailed on Honda I payed for it dearly (car fell apart and then I was upside down trying to get back into a Honda). So while I don't like the new Accord (hopefully the second year will be better), I still trust them more than any other car company. I also have looked at the new Corolla but honestly saw quite a few mixed reviews on it also. Plus for some reason Toyota continues to price their cars quite a bit higher than Honda (unless you get a good deal) and a lot of standard stuff is in a package that costs extra. I am sure it is a great car though and should be on anyone's short list. Another factor is Honda is probably my best chance to get what I owe on my loan paid off. I will not roll negative equity into my new loan. If it comes down to that, I will walk and just try to trade in the Accord in the fall. I like a few other cars from other companies but honestly I am a little hesitant to jump. Reliability wise (even with the creaks/rattles, etc.) Honda has never let me down. They have always ran extremely well with little to no maintenance. The only other company I would jump without thinking to hard would be Toyota as they are held in the same regards as Honda in my book. I just prefer Honda :).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You noticed this too. Was talking to my Chevy dealer about trading an '04 Impala for an '08 Impala before I bought the Civic. To my surprise, the local Honda dealer was undercutting them on price for a comparable equipped '08 Accord. The new Accord and the Impala are the same dimenentions which started a big argument with the Chevy dealer over price/value.

Yup and I wish I would of test drove it a little longer or thought about it more. My wife likes the Accord but understands why I want to trade it in. The whole swirl mark thing has really been a sore spot on this car for me but is just one of many things I don't like. I know for sure I will be getting a white civic. At least that way if I do have to deal with swirl marks again (probably will) they will not be very noticeable at all. I originally was considering a Honda Fit but after driving it I couldn't do it. It's a fun car to drive but has no power at all. Now I will say the FIT engine is REALLY loud but then again it's just 117 HP being pushed pretty hard. For just a little more I can get a Civic with a very underrated 140hp engine. I never felt lacking for power with my Civic. Sure it wasn't as fast as my Accord or my old RSX but it did the job with ease.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
For you guys with road noise issues, have you ditched the OEM craptastic tires? Honda has a history of putting horrible tires on their cars unless NSX or S2000 is graced on the car somewhere.

I am using the Kumho ASX (when I'm not running the V710's) and I must say, they are not only a better handling tire, but quieter as well.

·
Registered
678 Posts
For you guys with road noise issues, have you ditched the OEM craptastic tires? Honda has a history of putting horrible tires on their cars unless NSX or S2000 is graced on the car somewhere.

I am using the Kumho ASX (when I'm not running the V710's) and I must say, they are not only a better handling tire, but quieter as well.
I have to 2nd that, try changing tires before doing something really drastic, you can always sell the tires on craigslist or something.

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
midnitesi, that white Accord is gorgeous. Every mod you have on it is tasteful and not tacky or overdone. My friend has one (stock) and I love driving in it.

To me, that's Honda quality. I felt the quality of the Accord rental I had to be much higher than the Civic and the new Accord. Who knows.

·
Registered
11,037 Posts
Thats a nice accord and doesnt look tachy. Thats something you dont see done to those accords. The best thing to laugh at is the people who just mismatch colors on the body kits and throw them on like that and turns out to be colors of the rainbow haha. Its one thing if the money isnt there to paint it but dam at least have it matching
the paint is the s2000 white (from 06) and a whole jar of blue pearl...i did 3 coats of white and 5 coats of clear witht he pearl....i thought bout doin racing stripes...but not the reg solid stripe...but using blue metalic flake as the stripe...so u only see it at an angle

·
Registered
11,037 Posts
midnitesi, that white Accord is gorgeous. Every mod you have on it is tasteful and not tacky or overdone. My friend has one (stock) and I love driving in it.

To me, that's Honda quality. I felt the quality of the Accord rental I had to be much higher than the Civic and the new Accord. Who knows.
thank you....ur lookin at 25k right there...would have been more if i would have paid someone

·
Registered
31 Posts
I agree with some of the previous posters about the OEM tires. I never expected my Civic to be as quiet as an Accord, but I was disappointed in the level of noise in my 06 EX Sedan soon after I bought it. Thankfully 30+ city and 40+ highway during the days of $3 to $4 gas tempered my disappointment.

After I put some new tires on it (after the factory OEM's were worn out at 21K) I noticed a huge decrease in road noise.

I know own an 09 EXL Coupe, and have noticed much of the same road noise (same crappy OEM tires) as my 06 originally had. I anticipate that when I put new tires on this one, the noise will be reduced.

It isn't an excuse, Honda has no business putting these terrible tires on the car. However, it isn't something that you have to live with forever.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.