8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am selling my car, and have someone that wants to get hondata... Can you trade a 2006 coupe ecu without hondata for one with it without issues? I am sure I am not the first to ask, however I haven't found my answer by searching. Someone with FOR SURE knowledge comment please, I am not looking for "I think so's"...

thanks boys and girls!

Jason

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you would have to reprogram the immobilizers

its not as easy as to just swap them

Here is what I am thinking....

Take apart the head of the keys... Take the immobilizer chip out of the head of the key, put the chip into the other persons key for their ignition then transfer ecu's and viola? The valey keys would no longer work for the vehicles, but the 2 remote headed keys would... thoughts?

I don't want to try it without someone telling me it will work OR it won't hurt anything to try it (that know what they are talking about).

·
Registered
517 Posts
the two of you have to go into a honda dealership and swap ecu's. then, the dealership will have to reprogram all your keys to be compatible with the new ecu. (the immobilizer in the keys is somehow connected to the ecu or so recognizes it, so therefore w/ a new ecu, the keys/immobilzers have to be reprogram to recognize the new ecu).

·
Premium Member
19,670 Posts
Here is what I am thinking....

Take apart the head of the keys... Take the immobilizer chip out of the head of the key, put the chip into the other persons key for their ignition then transfer ecu's and viola? The valey keys would no longer work for the vehicles, but the 2 remote headed keys would... thoughts?

I don't want to try it without someone telling me it will work OR it won't hurt anything to try it (that know what they are talking about).

The immobilizer chip is actually part of the electronics package in the remote for your key, its antenna is looped around the entire circuit board

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.