8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyones 1st gear is ever tough to get into. Now when I say tough I dont mean real tough but just not smooth, if that makes any sense. Sometimes when im sitting at a stop or coast to a stop in neutral and then throw it into 1st, its not always smooth. But then throw it back into neutral and attempt to throw it into first again and smooth as butter. Not a big deal just wondering.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, thats what I thought at first to, but its felt this way at dead stop sitting at light. Then i thought maybe I wasnt on the clutch long enough when it turns green before i throw it in first. So at a dead stop, clutch all the way in, ive felt it.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
do you have a short shifter?- other than that how many miles are on your car....perhaps something is off with your synchros..if it continues and/or becomes worse id have it checked out before potential further damage arises.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, it doesnt happen all that often but was wondering if anyone else has noticed this. I usually only downshift to 3rd and then coast or go to neutral, very rarely downshift to second and then first. But yea, its usually smooth if i do go from second to first.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont have a short shifter and only 2400, its not bad enough for me to even believe its a problem. Probably more in my head than anything being a new car and all, paranoid.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
yeah i've noticed this too. also in first when i put the clutch in to shift to 2nd sometimes i'll get an abrupt cut of the engine, makes it jerk. usually only when cold i think.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've pretty much always had a little bit of a struggle shifting into 1st. Especially if you're moving. You have to be going less than about 3MPH for my car to want to shift into 1st smoothly, and even then sometimes it's a little rough. Sometimes it shifts fine though. I have Amsoil MTF, but the problem was the same before and after changing to Amsoil. It's kind of like the 3rd gear thing. It's a bit of an annoyance, but I don't think it's really a problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.