8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

161 - 180 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Great mod, just ordered mine.

For Canadians who want to do it, here's a little tip to save you $5. Email or give a call to your local Volvo dealer and when they tell you suggested price is $40, ask em why the same part is only 33 in the US(hell of a device conversion fee!). The part manager was really nice and offered to do it with 10% discount.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I never used the sunglass holder in the ceiling of my Accord because the sunglasses were directly below the metal roof. On a sunny day, it didn't even need to be that hot outside, the sunglasses would COOK in the heat generated from the sun hitting the roof of the car. They were so hot you could not even put them on, and they would bend easily from the heat. The ceiling sunglass holder became its own little oven. I never used it again. I put my sunglasses in the center console between the seats so they would not cook inside the car. It is a nice idea, but completely impractical since the holder is not insulated.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Does anyone who has taken their headline rout know if the anchors could spin and interfere with the side airbags? Thanks

·
Registered
420 Posts
There's three different versions of the sunglass holder available from Volvo. I believe the one shown in this thread is the newest, however I like the older designs better. They're a full clamshell, so the mounting feet don't intrude into the space your glasses rest in. Also, the shell is lined much better: the roof side of the shell actually has headliner fabric on the back, while the pull-down door has a rubber insert that helps keep your glasses from rattling.

I don't have part numbers handy, but can look it up later. Between the two older generation versions, one is more squarish while the other is a little rounded. I think they share the same installation instruction document. I don't know if the distance between mounting points might be different too.

The other thing with this DIY is that the use of toggle bolts bothers my sense for aesthetics. Instead, I used two 9mm grommet nuts from the local hardware store. These just push into rectangular hole and accept a 6mm screw. You may be able to find something similar sold as generic license plate mounting hardware.

There's two drawbacks that are worth mentioning - not showstoppers, but something to be aware of going in. First, the sunglass holder sticks out a good bit more than the grab handles, and depending on how tall you are and how you tend to sit, you may bump your head into it at times.

The other thing to note is that it also interferes with the driver's side visor if you want to use it to block the top of the door window: the visor can no longer pivot all the way to the side.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks to the great instructions, if you have all the parts ready, it doesn't take more than 10 mins to install.

It's large enough to fit oversized sunglasses.

Here's what is looks in a sedan (FA1 R18), which has a slightly darker interior than the Si.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Just finished installing mine. Volvo Dealership had it in stock on the shelf like it was candy, but they got a kick out of me telling them it was for a civic lol. 1/8x2" drywall spring anchors, #6-32x1-1/2" screws to replace the screws anchors come with, and 2 washers double stacked as the only ones that fit were too small to hold the glasses holder.

Attachments

161 - 180 of 198 Posts