8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off, Hey! My name is Kris. Been "lurking" for a few months and finally decided to create an account after buying a used 07 fg2. Anyway one of the first things I could not stand was a safe place to put my sunglasses. (out of site and scratch free). While searching many threads I saw this http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/inside-out/158465-diy-volkswagen-sunglass-holder.html thread with the VW flip down sun glass holder. I didnt like it but I like the idea. No offense to anyone and props to thomas si for sharing :wavey: but it looks out of place, you can see the mounting holes and it is really small. Just not the clean look that I could live with. So i did a little research and found that Volvo made a flip down sun glass holder that would fit much better, is bigger and was only $32. I am sure you can find them online. I went to the local dealership and they had 2 beige in stock. I ordered the gray and it was ready for pick up the next day.
Here is a pic of the fugly VW installed

and here is a pic of the Volvo. Pic not the greatest but you get the idea. The pics makes it seem like the color is off more than it actually is. It matches almost identically.

It is a pretty simple install that took me 30-45 minutes with my 4 y/o and 2 y/o helping out. :wheee:

Ok so the part I used is a Volvo Spectacle Holder. Part# 30740417. Now Volvo had 2 different colors, beige and the other is this gray one.
Here is a side by side of the stock handle and the sunglass holder. The color is a little off but not by much.
[/URL][/IMG]
A few more snaps..I am very detailed..kind of a "tick"
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL]

So lets dig in.
Tools I used:
1 small flathead screwdriver and 1 medium flat head
1 phillips head screwdriver
2 bolts
2 drywall spring anchors
2 washers
(might need)
medal saw
file

First you need to remove the oh s*** handle. This was the hardest part of the process. The plastic covers are a pita to get off. I used 1 small flathead and 1 medium flathead and pryed both sides of each cover off. Here is what they look like after removed.

and a pic of the interior

next take the bolts, drywall spring anchors and washers and put them all together. The bolts should be approximately 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 in length. I had to cut mine so they would fit.

Next slip them through the mounting holes of the new sun glass holder. The washer will be on the inside.

Next you will pinch the anchors together and feed them through the square holes till they snap into place or feed 1 "leg" at a time until both are in the hole and spring into place. Make sure it is in the position you want and tighten the screws/bolts. Dont over tighten them. You do not want to break the anchors. Besides this thing weighs next to nothing so not much torque is needed to hold it into place.
Here is a final pic. Again with the flash it makes it look like the color is off but as seen in the above comparison pic they are almost identical colors.

Hope other find this useful.

Cheers :beer:

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
That's really innovative and it's looks stock too. Good job man.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Great D.I.Y.!

Never seen anything like it before, but you're right, it does blend in perfectly there. Looks like it came like that stock.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
anybody know if this will fit a pair of Oakley Minute 2.0's ?
I have have a pair of Bolle Swishers that fit with plenty of room to spare. The Oakleys look very similar. My wife also has 3 different pair of different sized sun glasses and all fit just fine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry about the multiple posts. I tried to edit my last post but there is no edit option..

Here are a few more pics

1 - 20 of 198 Posts