8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everybody,

i took my ebay projectors apart and now I want to know what is the difference between the projector that came with and a (for example) tsx projector?
Why is the light yield not as good because its meant for halogen bulbs or why?

Here are some picture of my projector:

what could I do, to get the best light yield? enough to change the lenses? Or do I have to change the projectors?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
a start would be to change the lens and cutoff shield. you might as well swap out the projector
how to mod the cutoff shield? and whats wrong with the lense? Its just a clear glass!

this is my cutoff shield:

what should it look like?

TSX cutoff shield:

My cutoff shield:

It looks almost the same!!!

·
Premium Member
37,355 Posts
i remember speaking to you a whiles back . they may look the same lens wise but im sure they perform different. order a set of replica lens and test them out compared to the stock. if you like what you see > keep it. if not put the original back on and sell it.

it all depends on if your happy with the output.

the cutoff shield would have to be replaced with one that you would have to make out of some flash aluminum. unless of course your happy with the output of that one

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i remember speaking to you a whiles back . they may look the same lens wise but im sure they perform different. order a set of replica lens and test them out compared to the stock. if you like what you see > keep it. if not put the original back on and sell it.

it all depends on if your happy with the output.

the cutoff shield would have to be replaced with one that you would have to make out of some flash aluminum. unless of course your happy with the output of that one

but the cutoff shield looks exact like the one in the tsx projectors? why must it be replaced? mine is also of aluminium.

·
Premium Member
37,355 Posts
its good to modify the shield on the tsx as well. if you dont want to, definately replace the lens with a tsx replica clear. it will greatly improve output.

i mean it improves out on an actual tsx projector, but i dont have any first hand experiance just what ive read and seen pictures of

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
I am not too sure about this one and perhaps striker can give you a solid answer, but based purely on my grade 11 science class...which was a VERY long time ago..lol:

the light output from any projector is based on the concept of light refraction. That is, the distortion of a beam of light through the medium of air in this case.

The shields, though they may look the same have a different radius of concavity between halogen and xenon projectors. Now, I don't know the dispersion characteristics between HID and halogen light differ:

but! since the ignition method is different, and light is produced through a filament in a halogen bulb, where as the light is created by an arch of charged gas in a HID bulb, the intensities and thus the beam will differ.

If the beams differ, then the path the light takes will differ. Halogen projectors probably have bowls to concentrate the usable intensity of the beam most beneficial for depth rather than width on the road.

Since the lumen output is twice that in a HID bulb, bowls are probably designed to disperse the light more radially equivalent through the lens than the halogen projector.

But this is all hypothetical and purely logic based...not one bit of that has any quantitative facts to back that up..lol

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
its good to modify the shield on the tsx as well. if you dont want to, definately replace the lens with a tsx replica clear. it will greatly improve output.

i mean it improves out on an actual tsx projector, but i dont have any first hand experiance just what ive read and seen pictures of
are these good?

eBay Motors: NEW 2.5" ACURA TSX CLEAR LENS REPLICAS HID PROJECTORS (item 290267383509 end time Apr-10-09 17:55:12 PDT)

and do you have any pics in what way to modify the cutoff shield?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
that will give you a fuzzy cutoff, and the angling of it probably focuses the most light right in the center on the vehicle.

you can get lens for cheaper on hid planet so you know
sorry, dont understand!

what will give me a fuzzy cutoff?

and do you have any picture of in what way to mod the cutoff shield?

·
Premium Member
37,355 Posts
the chewed up shield design. i dont have any pictures. but there are plenty lens comparisons on hidplanet if you go to the forums and go to the pictures/video's subsection

and in the hidplanet university there are how-tos on how to make custom shields

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.