8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
can be bad for the suspension?

true or false
True, I guess. :D Simple physics... with over-inflated tires, the suspension in theory will have to absorb every bump as tiny road imperfection becomes more pronounced.

But it is generally accepted that tires are better off being slightly over-inflated rather than under-inflated. The former can generally improve MPG without torturing the suspension but the latter may cause the tire to overheat and probably fail early in its life.

My 2c.

·
Scrodums
9,486 Posts
True, I guess. :D Simple physics... with over-inflated tires, the suspension in theory will have to absorb every bump as tiny road imperfection becomes more pronounced.

But it is generally accepted that tires are better off being slightly over-inflated rather than under-inflated. The former can generally improve MPG without torturing the suspension but the latter may cause the tire to overheat and probably fail early in its life.

My 2c.
To add to that:

Disadvantages of Overinflation

An overinflated tire is stiff and unyielding and the size of its footprint in contact with the road is reduced. If a vehicle's tires are overinflated by 6 psi, they could be damaged more easily when encountering potholes or debris in the road, as well as experience irregular tread wear. Higher inflated tires cannot isolate road irregularities as well causing the vehicle to ride harsher and transmit more noise into its interior. However, higher inflation pressures reduce rolling resistance slightly and typically provide a slight improvement in steering response and cornering stability. This is why participants who use street tires in autocrosses, track events and road races run higher than normal inflation pressures.
Tire Tech - Air Pressure – Correct, Underinflated and Overinflated

Moved to the wheel and tires forum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.