8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Just want to vent a bit. I started off my morning not feeling so well, but then once I left for school things were fine. Took my math test and passed with flying colors. then I decided to meet my mom for lunch. This is where it gets bad. We had out lunch and I come out to my car and get to the drivers side and what the **%&^($(#!!! So A** hit my car! I was standing there checking it out and some guy comes out from inside saying what a f-ing idiot!!! He saw the guy in a 2002 Durango pull in and hit my car, then get his food and leave. So we did get the lic #, but when the cop went to the guys house he said Oh I didn't know I hit a car.... Hmmmm $3500.00 in damage to my cars left rear 1/4 panel and bumper? Well unless he is driving a tank, I would think he would have realized that he hit it. Now the cop is saying that it is not worth me taking him to court for hit and run because the guy said he didn't know. So what is everyone elses opinion? I took some great pics of the damage. I want to nail his ___! Now my car will never be the same. They have to cut out the old 1/4 and weld in a totally new section. Plus I missed a day of work dealing with all of this. I say take him to court, but the cop say if he tells thee judge he didn't know he hit it they will just throw it out. Any ideas?

Thanks for allowing me to vent!

Z

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
I don't believe that one bit.

So if I pull the trigger and shoot my mom... but say "I didn't know I killed her" - I get off scott free? BS. I can't see any judge dropping those charges. If you have a witness, you have his plates, you know who did it, you have the dammage - I'd freaking go to court. Why should you pay your deductible to have it repaired? Man I would be so upset.

Post up some pics if you can. I'd like to see how bad it is.

Sorry to hear about your luck man. Some people are just idiots.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Take that son of a ***** to court. I know if some idiot hit my car I would send his ass straight to court.

My ass he didnt know. I know I feel every little hole in the road, I hear every rock that hits me car or the underbody. I think I and anyone would feel it if they hit another car.

And I agree with webby. You think those hit and run people who kill a person get off free? Ooooh i didint know I hit somone and killed them, guess no harm done. Bull.

Long story short, send his ass to court. Hell if i was in the car and that happend I would sue him for all its worth (if it was a hit and run). My back is killing me just thinking about it =)

·
Registered
168 Posts
You have a witness correct? If he hit your car he was sure to have done at least some damage to his own. There may even be some of your paint on his car (more evidence). At this point he may have already fixed that. Did the cop inspect his vehicle? Call his bluff. Threaten to take him to court and see if he comes clean. Have you called your insurance company? What do they reccomend? If you did not have a witness I would agress that it may be more trouble than it is worth but you have someone who saw it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Oh, and since it was his fault. You might consider having the entire car painted. The car should be returned to the condition it was before the accident. Where did he hit it? What parts of the car are damaged? In addition to the damage he owes you a days worth of wages for your lost day of work and any other expenses involved.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I would definitely pursue some legal action.

You have:
- A witness
- Police report (I'm assuming)

That alone should be more than enough to convict for a hit & run.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Go for it! Take his ass to court! You can't do $3500 damage without knowing about it. If that is really the case, he shouldn't be driving!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey All,

I am at work right now and have read all of your posts. I will update on this situation when I get a break here at work or tonight when I get home. Thanks so much for all the advise. I will post some pics later also. They will be cuting out the left rear 1/4 and replacing the whole thing from what it looks like.

Thanks!

Z

·
Registered
21,304 Posts
I'm sorry to hear this happened. I would definately take it to court knowing you have a witness. He should be made to pay!! I hope everything works out for you.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Yes, you could take him to court. Your insurance has a deductable you pay to get the car repaired. The insurance should cover the rest. Check with your insurance co. on the protocal for this.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here it goes...

So last night my mom and I went out to dinner. She is crazy.... While I was on the phone with the insurance company she went and found this guys phone # and address. So when we went to dinner we drove by what we thought was the house... (she forgot the address stuff at her house) and could not find it. I called back to her house and got the address and on the way back we found the house and low and behold what was backing out of the driveway, but the Dodge Durango that hit my Civic. So next thing I know my mom stops the car in the middle of the road and turns around to follow this guy. He ends up stopping at the local Subway and we parked a bit farther down and I went to walk past the truck and there is a large blue scratch and dent in the passengers side front bumper. BUSTED! Soo on to today... The jerks insurance company called me after I reported it to my insurance and stated they will be covering the repair of the car and a rental for the 2 weeks the bodyshop will have the car. Then they siad to make sure that they use LKQ parts. I said Hell No! This is a brand new car. I want the factoy stuf. So they finally budged and said ok. I called the cop that was involved with this and he stated that he wil be charged with leaving the scene of an accident and hit and run. So BUSTED! The best is I got all of this taken care of in one day and with just a few phone calls. Still kind of pissed cause now the car will never be the same. They have to cut of the left rear 1/4 at the factory weald marks and remove my rear and side glass to do so. But I talked to my buddy that is the manager at the Abra where I am taking it and he said don't worry we will replace all parts with Honda parts. Just hope there are no leaks or rattles or such... Ok I need to shut up now. I have been up since 4am and wont get home till about 11. Sleep deprived. LOL Thanks for all the suggestions guys. This guy is going to have to pay all the fines plus a higher insurance payment. He got what he deserved. :party: :rockwoot:

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
awesome job tracking the guy down. I'm sure he thought he'd get away with it, and he's going to pay for it. Props to you for not standing idle and just paying for it out of pocket yourself. If you can, I'd still like to see the pics of your car. Glad to see it's working out for you at least.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Thats great stuff to hear, I thought I posted my angry rant yesterday but I guess I got busy. So way to go!!!! He should pay and get charged for leaving the scene. Probably because I had to work... well good that you nailed this guy... he deserves it.. it would have been better for him to just stay.... oh well

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey all,

I will try to post pics tomorrow. What is the easiest way to post them? They are large files and I really have not had much luck with the editing software I have to crop and change the sizes.

Thanks!!!

Z

1 - 20 of 35 Posts