8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

After a lot of research I decided to get the Tokico HTS adjustable shocks for my 07 r18.

I debated between the tokico hps shocks, skunk2 sport shocks, skunk2 pro-s coilovers, redshift konis. It came down to the redshifts and tokicos. But since I have heard a lot of good things about tokico hts shocks in the past, I decided to grab them for my ride. They can be adjusted for stiffness and carry a lifetime warranty. Also, they are made for our cars without any modifications.

I currently have hnr sport springs and the ride is ok with stock shocks. However, the performance is crap so I decided to upgrade the shocks to the tokico's and get the progress rear sway bar from z1 performance.

The shocks will arrive in my hands tommorow and I will have them installed this saturday. I will post a review on this product this weekend.

BTW, I purchased the shocks through shox.com and the shipping is fast and the prices are fair. The shocks were shipped yesterday from San Deigo and arrived in Vancouver BC today! Very impressed with the speed of service from this website. MSRP is 899 but I got it alittle cheaper because the sales consultant quoted me the wrong price at first :) Shipping was 65 dollars us.

Cheers!

·
Registered
18 Posts
So, how much different are they?

I'm now considering replacing stuts/shocks for a stock vehicle (I wouldn't lower it here in MI between crappy roads (man-eating pot holes), snow and dirt roads).

Are the Tokico blues that much better than the KYB's? Are the Koni Yellows available yet?

·
Registered
665 Posts
i had a short stint with the tokico hp's(blues) on my car but was very dissatisfied. left a bad taste in my mouth for all things tokico. but supposedly these are their high performance dampers, right?

im keeping my fingers crossed for an honest review :D

·
Registered
23,477 Posts
So, how much different are they?

I'm now considering replacing stuts/shocks for a stock vehicle (I wouldn't lower it here in MI between crappy roads (man-eating pot holes), snow and dirt roads).

Are the Tokico blues that much better than the KYB's? Are the Koni Yellows available yet?
If you go to their site, it give a nice description on the Tokico HTS on what their application is for and such. They are a single adjustable shock/ strut (adjut compression and rebound same time). Supposedly valved more agressive than Tokico HP [Blues] (obviously).

Tokico HP is valved slightly more agressive than Tokico's actual OE replacement, you would have to call for that part number I believe. They would probably try to sell ya the HP blues though.

KYB I am not familliar with, but probably would be fine being it is going on stock suspension for a real OE replacement.

Koni front inserts are available, but the rear shocks are a few (as I read and told) weeks out. They will be ~$650. They are rebound adjustable. I would say Tokico HTS (~$850) are in that upper level with the Koni application. They may be more than what you are looking for.

·
CHOO-CHOO!!!!!!
14,929 Posts
Like Red Eg, I've been bouncing back and forth between the Tokico's HTS/D-Specs, and the Redshift's. I've read the factory write up on the Tokico's a million times, and I'm dying for an owner review.:thumb:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The shocks were installed with my hnr sport springs (1.6 in f, 1.4 in r drop) today. The shocks make the car feel a lot more firm and solid on turns. You have more control on the car and there is less body roll on turns. The ride quality is awesome because it is a low pressure twin tube shock instead of a high pressure mono tube shock.

From the factory it comes at full stiff (tracking setting) and I have kept it that way until I receive my adjustment tool that they forgot to ship me. Then, the tokico rep said to put it at around 4 to 5 turns counter clockwise for near factory stiffness for daily driving. He did not recommend more then that because he said it would ride like a cadillac. Very soft and not sporty.

I do not regret buying these shocks because Tokico has excellent service and their lifetime warranty is unbeatable. They will last you the life of the car.

I recommend anyone who is on lowering springs to get these. If you are looking to replace your stock shocks with stock springs then I recommend the tokico blues because they have lifetime warranty as well unlike skunk2 and other lower end coilovers. The lifetime warranty shows that they are very confident in their product and have customer satisfaction as a core value of their company. The shocks are also made in japan instead of taiwan etc.

You get what you pay for, so I'm sure Koni yellows will be great when they come out as well. THe only downside will be having to modify your stock front struts to make it work. The HTS's are direct replacement. The shocks are also compression and rebound adjusting whereas konis are only rebound adjustment from what I understand. I think they are they are not as easy to adjust as well. The HTS can be adjusted with a allen wrench key type tool from the top of the shocks.

So overall, I am very happy with tokico and they products and service. I can vouch for their company anytime. If you are not lowered or not lowered much and do not track the car then I think the tokico blues will be fine. However, if you are lowered more than an inch and may track the car then I recommend the hts or konis. If you are a hardcore racer than I would recommend you look into the higher end coilovers like Skunk2 pro-c or Tein SS.

If you have any questions please ask away!

Cheers!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Thank God someone bought these and reviewed them. Was looking into coilovers as well, but don't need the height adjustment as I feel my sportline drop sits perfectly and is ideal for my local roads and the driveways I use.

The car has been lowered for the past 20k miles. Ride is getting a bit on the mushy side, but I guess I'll wear the oem shocks a little longer since I just paid for an alignment and dialed in some neg camber. Great write-up :thumb:

·
Registered
665 Posts
Tokico blues are actually pretty bad. i personally would never recommend them. you can read my review on them if youd like. i think i was first on the forums with them. i tried to be as objectionable as possible in my review in an effort to spread honest information, despite my embarassment at spending the $650 on them. not so sure you did the same here :eek: i see at the end you recommended the Tein SS's as "higher end" coilovers.. bah..

in for more reviews from others! :thumb:

-RWC8THC

·
Registered
23,477 Posts
Thanks for the review as I was heavily debating these and Koni Sport (yellows).

The only reason I decided against the Tokico HTS was that they are not rebuildable or offer the option of custom valving as do the Koni application.

I would also be curious as to see how much the compression is altered through the settings when compared to the rebound. It may be surprising to find out that the change in compression may be very slight anyway and changing mainly rebound when compared in, say a percentage.

Anyway, again, glad to see someone purchase these and take the time to review.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You're all welcome! This site has been very helpful to me and i just want to give back as much as possible.

As with the tokico blues, I guess I jumped the gun on it. RWC has a good honest review about them and I would go by his opinion because I do not have first hand experience with the product. .

And thanks to thunder for pointing out that the hts's are not rebuildable or custom valvable like the konis.

There are pros and cons for both but as least the information has been discussed throughly for someone in the market for shocks to make an informed decision.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Extenders seem like a neat idea. Only thing is there aren't any numbered increments, so how would you know that the left is at the same setting as the right?

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
The HTS's are direct replacement. The shocks are also compression and rebound adjusting whereas konis are only rebound adjustment from what I understand.
Cheers!
its better to have rebound and compression separately adjustable, which is why Koni's S/A shocks only do rebound. interested to see how lap times compare to other suspension set ups.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
i have tokico hps with comptec springs i dont really like them im gonna switch out the rear is way too soft and bottoms out all the time ! the fronts are wierd sometimes they are great and sometimes they suck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does anybody know if the Tokico HTS are available in Canada yet, because I called a nearby shop and they said there is a part number but its not out yet.... anybody know??

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
gpascu...i had to order from the states. Most shops in canada cannot get them in or don't know much about them.

·
Registered
543 Posts
One more thing. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and everyone has different experiences with different products. So please do not refrain from saying what's on your mind as long as you have support for your argument.

I will say one thing though and that is quality and great service comes at a price. If you pay for something that is cheap then expect a cheap product that may not fit your needs. If you are buying a product from a place with a lowered listed price then most other prices then you should expect shitty service.

I like dealing with companys with a great warranty and a great relationship with their vendors. Most of the time these companies will have the best service and I do not mind paying more for the product.

I have dealt with a few of the sponsors of this site and will happy to say that all my experiences have been good. Eventhough our Canadian dollar is **** right now I still rather order through the sponsors on here then from some of the local shopes in Canada.

Just my two cents :)
Umm yea ok...

I've ordered from plenty of unknown shops and recieved my items in the same time as I have from reputable ones, regardless of warranty that has nothing to do with the vendor and more to do with the supplier. To say because your paying less means you'll get shitty service or products is just a flat out lie and your means to justify the extra money you could have saved ordering from another vendor, at least from my experience anyway.. :wavey:

I'm almost positive your not going to notice the difference between tokico hp's and hts's on your way to school or to the skate park to play hacky sack. Maybe in your head :)

Def on the track, but chances are your driving skill won't be able to tap half of what the suspension is capable of.. In short, save your money and buy prostitutes :) So much more fun haha

1 - 20 of 22 Posts