8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm second guessing my first choice of no nav. Most likely I am putting a deposit on my car tonight and I need to decide. What's everyone getting and why?

Thanks, Sara

·
Registered
38 Posts
bottom line

The bottom line is, if you plan to travel, you may want to consider getting the NAV.

If you are not going to travel whatsoever, but want to look cool, you may want to consider getting the NAV.

But if your like me, and don't mind using a map, or ask directions, there is no need to get a NAV. I opted out, since I am so used to not needing one.

Its a matter of personal preference. Its up to you to decide what is best for your needs.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Instead of the Honda factory navigation, you could wait and later buy a TomTom (tomtom.com). That way, you could use it in other cars and even take it with you to use in rental cars when you travel. I think the TomTom would be a little less expensive than the factory nav as well. I used one a few weeks ago and it was great.

·
Premium Member
6,940 Posts
I thought it was ScottScott...

If you can afford it and are remotely thinking of getting it, I personally say go for it. Even if you only use it once, you won't be sorry you did.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Anyone know the chances of playing movies thru the navigation system? I haven't seen anyone talk about that anywhere? Just a thought...

·
Premium Member
6,940 Posts
Juggaman said:
Anyone know the chances of playing movies thru the navigation system? I haven't seen anyone talk about that anywhere? Just a thought...
It's been mentioned a number of times in this forum alone. The answer is 'no', it will not be capable of playing DVD movies.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I don't think nav is needed, but if you need it, like jongallant said, you can always buy a cheaper nav system like navman, tomtom, etc for less.
You can even make your GPA act as a nav.
I know having GPS inside the car looks really cool, but for money wise, it's not.
=D

·
Registered
96 Posts
chobits said:
I don't think nav is needed, but if you need it, like jongallant said, you can always buy a cheaper nav system like navman, tomtom, etc for less.
You can even make your GPA act as a nav.
I know having GPS inside the car looks really cool, but for money wise, it's not.
=D
I think you meant "PDA" instead of "GPA".

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm getting it. I dont need it. But the cost of the car with it isn't too bad. It's a fun toy to have in the car.

I am assuming it may make the car easier and quicker to sell when it comes time that I dont want it anymore.

·
Crazy Yellow Puppet
26,930 Posts
I've got it, and I don't travel very often...but there are places around town I don't know. There are places just outside of town I don't know. And I recently went to a wedding out of town where the directions given were left on the kitchen table, so it really comes in handy in a pinch. If you're not sure...if there is any debate whatsoever...get it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I didn't go last night but, I'm pretty sure I'm going to get it. I'll probably use it at some point and It will reduce some stress. Also, I like the XM radio capability.

·
Banned
7,824 Posts
Howesit said:
I didn't go last night but, I'm pretty sure I'm going to get it. I'll probably use it at some point and It will reduce some stress. Also, I like the XM radio capability.
I wish they used Sirius or you could choose to add Sirius, over XM :( . Depending on what you listen to, Sirius is a much better investment than XM, IMHO. I have XM and only listen to a few channels but a friend's got Sirius and I listen to more of his channels than my own. I say go for it. The Nav I put in my other car has worked really great for me. Of course, I do a lot of travelling, being away from home (MD) and all and going to Canada and stuff but it's been more than useful to me. Of course, I don't like asking for directions....I'm shy :eek: :p

·
Registered
9 Posts
I want it but I don't think I will ever get my money's worth out of it.

The nav alone at $1750 extra adds a hefty chunk to the price of the car and I want to pay in full with cash.

And if you finance, the price of the nav will exceed $2000 by the time you pay it out.

That's a lot of money to tack on for an accessory on a $20K car!

Not so significant if added to a $40K or $50K car where you've spent so much - what's another $2K ....

I've gone back and forth because I want the nav but when common sense finally kicks in again, I always come to the same conclusion .... can't really justify it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
No Nav = No XM and No Card Reader, think about it. The card reader is really trick and voice commands work on the stereo too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'll be navin' it up in my SI, most definitely. It'll help around college here in Morgantown, because god knows these roads don't make any sense in West Virginia.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts