8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Putting on a Spoon exhaust system with a custom tr1 catback piping (including test pipe) on my 08's SI Sedan. I'm trying to decided if I should keep the cat or use the test pipe. I know it can smell but not sure on the degree and would appreciate any feedback on how bad it smells and is it noticeable in the car while driving and while at idle?

·
Premium Member
14,538 Posts
It depends on what you are looking for. Going catless will get you the most power but your car will be a bit on the stinky side.

·
Registered
592 Posts
u'll notice the smell, but i'm sure u'll get used to it after some time. but, I wouldn't be worried about the smell, I'd be more worried about not being able to pass inspection/smog test, or getting a ticket if a cop actually checks for the cat/smells no cat.

but if ur not worried about police, then go catless. just don't leave the car in a garage while it's on, and make sure the exhaust is facing towards the door and not inside haha

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Well if you have your sunroof open and windows down in traffic it smells horrible. But if your more of a highway guy youll prbably never smell it, but going catless smells horrible, but yields nice gain and changes your exhaust tone to more of grrrrr lol

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I would put the catback on and see if you like the sound. Then decide if you want to remove the cat for the test pipe. I thought I had everything figured out with my exhaust setup... until I put my catback on. It has changed. I now want a cat (will be getting the vibrant header w/hfc) because I do not want the exhaust to get much louder then it is. Also I just do not want to have to worry about getting pulled over without a cat. I hear thats a nasty ticket to deal with.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
i have a dcrh and i love the gains. the smell is there, but not really that noticeable. the only time i can really smell it is stopped with windows down or if my friend is driving my car in front of me and punches it. and here in central ohio, there are no e-checks so nobody is the wiser.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I would put the catback on and see if you like the sound. Then decide if you want to remove the cat for the test pipe. I thought I had everything figured out with my exhaust setup... until I put my catback on. It has changed. I now want a cat (will be getting the vibrant header w/hfc) because I do not want the exhaust to get much louder then it is. Also I just do not want to have to worry about getting pulled over without a cat. I hear thats a nasty ticket to deal with.
SC is like TN the cops dont know if you have a cat or not if you live in the rural area and not the city your golden bro

·
Banned
97 Posts
i have bcrh, 3" straight stainless, no cat. rarely get any smell, the level of raspy is insane. i dunno if that's wha tyou're looking for.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm going to keep the cat. Apparently the gas mileage goes down the shitter too. It's a daily driver car.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
if you have a catback but keep your cat on will you get cool back fire sounds when you decelerate/engine brake...my friend said that it makes that sound but it makes more sense if you had no cat to get a couple backfire (or is it afterfire) w/e

·
Registered
249 Posts
Keep the cat on till you get a race header... then worry about welding in a high flow cat or not. If you delete the cat I imagine you wont get all that great of gains with the stock exhaust manifold.
The "fact or fiction" section of import tuner this month ran a test pipe on a car with a baseline of 104.1whp got 105.4whp with a test pipe. Not the same application, I know, but just FYI.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Keep the cat on till you get a race header... then worry about welding in a high flow cat or not. If you delete the cat I imagine you wont get all that great of gains with the stock exhaust manifold.
The "fact or fiction" section of import tuner this month ran a test pipe on a car with a baseline of 104.1whp got 105.4whp with a test pipe. Not the same application, I know, but just FYI.
Good info.

Thanks all

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
the back fire with cat on with aftermarket exhaust. i call it popping. i hear it from time to time. espically when i down shift from 6th to 5th. or 3rd to 2nd. popping *drool*

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
May Random Tech high flow cat has no smell at all,that I can notice and it sound great. I thought there would be a smell because the cat is sooooooooooo small on it but nope.:thumb:

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
I'd go with a HFC, I think the smell can be overwhelming. I bored the cat out on my 97 integra and as I've posted before it was a b***h to start up in the morning and I don't think overall I had much gain's for doing it. :wigglesmiley:

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've been catless for quite some time now, and to tell you the truth I dont even notice the smell anymore. It's really not that bad. You may smell it every now and then, but its not like its the only thing you smell while driving.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts