8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
I'm only chiming in cause i just did the TSX caliper swap and ran into a problem.

SO,

MDWalsh, did you have to trim the cowl pretty hard to fit the TL-S master cylinder? Mine would not fit without serious modification to the frame cross brace under the cowl.

Also you can find a new Dorman TL-S master cylinder on amazon for about $70 that will bolt right up to the brake booster. Just get on there and search brake master cylinder and then input a 2008 TL-S and filter results. I'd put the link but they expire on there every so often. Just match numbers and you should be good.

Also, Walsh, I've been reading your threads and can appreciate the work you put into making this swap more well known and easier to complete. Not trying to bust your chops but the brace notch ain't a small thing.
Would love to read more on this. Can you post pics of required notching?

·
Registered
713 Posts
Apparently I missed a huge step in the TSX swap thread about the master cylinder. You just swap the reservoir onto the metal "cylinder" piece and you should not need to notch the car at all. Doing it that way is how it fits. Oh well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
TL-S kit breakdown... so basically you need:
TLS rotors, calipers/pads, breaklines (preferably ss), and brake master cylinder right? And on oem wheels you'd need at LEAST a 15mm spacer?
Really interested because i plan on doing my breaks after winter so instead of going stock parts, i might as well do a lil upgrade. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
271 Posts
TL-S kit breakdown... so basically you need:
TLS rotors, calipers/pads, breaklines (preferably ss), and brake master cylinder right? And on oem wheels you'd need at LEAST a 15mm spacer?
Really interested because i plan on doing my breaks after winter so instead of going stock parts, i might as well do a lil upgrade. Thanks in advance
OMG it is brakes not break. :facepalm:

If you want TL-S rotors, you need to offset it correctly. You'll need extended studs because you'll need a 7mm spacer behind the rotor. Most common method is a 8mm spacer behind the rotor, and a washer between the knuckle and the caliper.

If you don't want to deal with a spacer, you can just run S2000 rotors. But you'll lose a few millimeters of pad contact on the rotor. S2000 rotors are 300mm and TL-S are 310

·
Registered
555 Posts
I'll be installing mine this spring. Figured I'd get one more year out of the setup I have rather than throwing away Ht-10's. You don't have the parts availability at a moments notice for the Stoptechs only reason I'm going with the TL-S Brembo's. They both make very nice brake parts. Do you mind me asking what your setup was when you were cooking your Brembo's? I've only had Issues with my stock size brakes once and it was 100 degrees out. Ht-10's front, Blues rear, DBA 4000 series rotors, RBF 660, Russell SS Lines.

·
Registered
271 Posts
how do you like the difference between the brembos and stoptech?
Haven't tracked my personal car with Stoptechs but just by pedal feel, there is a world of difference. Stoptechs blow the Brembos out of the water. The Stoptechs are very solid. Also with the entire caliper and threads hard anodized (vs naked aluminum Brembos) I don't worry about stripping the bleeders or any other bolts. Everything is just more solid with these. If you're a street guy, the Brembos are just fine.

I'll be installing mine this spring. Figured I'd get one more year out of the setup I have rather than throwing away Ht-10's. You don't have the parts availability at a moments notice for the Stoptechs only reason I'm going with the TL-S Brembo's. They both make very nice brake parts. Do you mind me asking what your setup was when you were cooking your Brembo's? I've only had Issues with my stock size brakes once and it was 100 degrees out. Ht-10's front, Blues rear, DBA 4000 series rotors, RBF 660, Russell SS Lines.
Goodridge SS Lines. RBF 600. HP+ pads and DTC 60 pads. 2" Brake ducts. Autozone blank rotors. TL-S BMC. 235/45/17 Bridgestone RE11As

Home track is Sebring. Very harsh on brakes. 7 track days a year I haven't had a weekend where i wasn't bleeding my brakes. Drove a friends S2000 with Stoptechs and I couldn't believe how firm the pedal was and OMG the bite was amazing. Brake modulation was incredible as well. After speaking with several TT guys with Stoptechs, not one has experienced brake fade. That shocked me especially since we experience track days 80 to 110 degrees.

Yes the initial cost is high, but I'll be able to go through only 1 set of rotors for the year, and one set of brake pads. This past year on Brembos, 3 sets of rotors and 6 sets of brake pads. It works out in the long run.

S2000 friend with Stoptechs did 8 track events this year. Used 0.2 mm of his rotors and still has plenty of pad life left. He is not light on his brakes either, he is really quick. That right there, is the reason I switched.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Haven't tracked my personal car with Stoptechs but just by pedal feel, there is a world of difference. Stoptechs blow the Brembos out of the water. The Stoptechs are very solid. Also with the entire caliper and threads hard anodized (vs naked aluminum Brembos) I don't worry about stripping the bleeders or any other bolts. Everything is just more solid with these. If you're a street guy, the Brembos are just fine.

which model stoptech did you end up buying? i love my brembos but its time to upgrade for the upcoming 2015 season.

·
Registered
129 Posts
toekneeg your Brembo set up over heated cause you used cheap arse Rotors B-)

I run my Civic at 2 GP tracks down here in OZ, speeds over 155 mph and I have zero Fade when I use the TLS Brembo's with DTC 69 or Dixcel track pads, Ive tried cheap rotors that havent been heat treated and they over heat eventual, OEM Honda rotors and DBA4000 were fine

I even did a 6 hr race at Phillip Island, which is 1 of the fastest Moto GP tracks in the world and didnt have a problem, 30 mins session, car and driver change, was a relay and I did 4 x 30mins session.

If you have cash to blow then by all means 328mm sounds awesome !

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, they need a lot of wheel clearance, they are quite wide.

If anyone is in Houston I'd be happy to let you try your wheel out on my car.

Matt

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Hey man am actually in Houston and planning on ordering this next week. Mind if I do a test?

21 - 35 of 35 Posts