8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've learned in this world... if you work under someone you are treated like ****, but if you don't you have to deal with ****.

I'd rather have the latter, because my performance determines my pay.

Long story short- Working through college part time, I make about $800/month. If I can match or beat that working for myself doing some other kinda job (landscaping, computer ****, etc), I would gladly do so.

I've had this idea come to me and I've sat on it for awhile, but I just do not know where to begin with it!

Any of you guys attempt this kinda thing with any success?

Basicly-

Low start-up (under $5000)
Moderate or less risk (i'll only be out what i put in)
Potential for bettering myself

I was kinda thinkin a landscaping/pressure washing business I could do it pretty cheap and still come out pretty good for myself. I imagine a start up cost being around 2-3k

The only issue with this idea is the competition... how many landscaping businesses there already are in town.

Car detailing is also an option but with as many $3 car washes as there are in town it would be dreadfully difficult to compete (most people don't care about the negative effects of these car washes on their paint)

What are some other options guys?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
There are a ton of businesses you could start on your own. I have a friend who started a cleaning business back in the day. Back then he did homes, and apartments, today he does hi-end homes and businesses. He makes good money too. In any job you are going to work for someone, which can really suck if you have an egotistical boss or generally work for an arsehole. You sound like the entrepreneurial type so you should probably buy some books on the subject and get to work. You'll be a lot happier working for yourself rather than someone else, but realize it comes with a cost called responsibility.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Wow... Wierd. Im going throught the same exact feeling. After working and getting fired from Wal-mart and now working doing the same thing at Fry's Electronics I realized how much I hate working for a company.

Maybe this was something I had coming, but the past year or two I've completly changed my way of thinking. I can't stand being limited or told what I can or can't do or working in something I hate wasting my life doing it.

I dunno, I get this feeling of emptiness and hate when I think about wasting my life working in something that absolutly means nothing when you think about it. I feel like I can do something more than just living this boring meaningless way of life all of us are living in America.

But then I lose motivation and still work for someone... Maybe it's time to watch Fight Club again.

Anyway, enough about my feelings.. I sound like a woman now.

I wanna hear some options too. I was thinking maybe owning my own business with some franchise, or maybe slutting my body. Whatever it might be, I wanna be able to just travel around the world without money being an issue banging all the women I possibly can before I die. Which is what life is about right?

·
Registered
15,798 Posts
mO 64 StAnG 06 said:
I wanna hear some options too. I was thinking maybe owning my own business with some franchise, or maybe slutting my body. Whatever it might be, I wanna be able to just travel around the world without money being an issue banging all the women I possibly can before I die. Which is what life is about right?
Lol.. good luck with that.

A franchise is going to cost hundreds of thousands just to start up. My bro was going to start a Chuckee Cheese since we have zero in a growing town of like 80 thousand, and it probably would've been a huge hit. Turns out the cost to start it up was $700k and they stopped selling franchises as well.

I heard the cost of starting up even a fast-food chain was severl hundred thousand because the franchise owners tack on a bunch of costs as well.

If you start up your own business, chances are for many, many years you won't be travelling the world with tons of money and a ton of women. You're going to be putting in late nights, every night, to make sure your company is a success. When you're dumping all your money into it, can you really just leave it to someone else whose working for 8/hour to make sure it doesn't fall under?

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
mO 64 StAnG 06 said:
I can't stand being limited or told what I can or can't do
So do most 5 year olds, but most do grow out of it at some point.

Authoritarian rage? Or typical 'teen' attitude?

The Dark Side approves of both as they are equally destructive. /Prepares for 'teen angst'. 3.2.1.

·
Hidy Ho Neighbor
29,707 Posts
Like everything in life, there is a plus/minus. Working for yourself means your going to pour you entire life into that business, and there is no one (but you) to fall back on for help.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Janizary said:

The Dark Side approves of both as they are equally destructive. /Prepares for 'teen angst'. 3.2.1.
sounds like youve given up already

·
Registered
939 Posts
Janizary said:

haha I use to be like this....ah to be young and naive.

·
Doraemon!
28,229 Posts
If you’re good with computers, I suggest offering web design services for your profs at school. That’s what I did for a year, and basically paid off my 2 semesters of tuition for a few weekends worth of work on the computer designing course websites. It’s pretty easy because instructors generally have a website that’s already up for their course materials. Your task is to make everything uniform (have a continuous design concept), easy to update from their end, and user-friendly for all the students accessing that information. It doesn’t have to be flashy, just professional. At one time, I got three $800 checks from the University for my services! (Profs don’t actually pay for this; they have a budget set aside for it, so they’re very willing to recruit you and help you out financially).

I’ll look around the UBC websites and see if my pages are still up!

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
595 Posts
dryerlint88 said:
I've learned in this world... if you work under someone you are treated like ****, but if you don't you have to deal with ****.

I'd rather have the latter, because my performance determines my pay.

Long story short- Working through college part time, I make about $800/month. If I can match or beat that working for myself doing some other kinda job (landscaping, computer ****, etc), I would gladly do so.

I've had this idea come to me and I've sat on it for awhile, but I just do not know where to begin with it!

Any of you guys attempt this kinda thing with any success?

Basicly-

Low start-up (under $5000)
Moderate or less risk (i'll only be out what i put in)
Potential for bettering myself

I was kinda thinkin a landscaping/pressure washing business I could do it pretty cheap and still come out pretty good for myself. I imagine a start up cost being around 2-3k

The only issue with this idea is the competition... how many landscaping businesses there already are in town.

Car detailing is also an option but with as many $3 car washes as there are in town it would be dreadfully difficult to compete (most people don't care about the negative effects of these car washes on their paint)

What are some other options guys?

mO 64 StAnG 06 said:
Wow... Wierd. Im going throught the same exact feeling. After working and getting fired from Wal-mart and now working doing the same thing at Fry's Electronics I realized how much I hate working for a company.

Maybe this was something I had coming, but the past year or two I've completly changed my way of thinking. I can't stand being limited or told what I can or can't do or working in something I hate wasting my life doing it.

I dunno, I get this feeling of emptiness and hate when I think about wasting my life working in something that absolutly means nothing when you think about it. I feel like I can do something more than just living this boring meaningless way of life all of us are living in America.

But then I lose motivation and still work for someone... Maybe it's time to watch Fight Club again.

Anyway, enough about my feelings.. I sound like a woman now.

dryerlint88, and mO 64 StAnG 06:
PM me I have a solution. Ill send you one as well I think this is what your looking for MATTER of FACT I know this is.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
i don't mind getting told what to do or listening to and respecting superiors... it makes my life so much easier, and if someday i do my own thing it'll be something i want to do not just so i don't have to work for someone

·
Hidy Ho Neighbor
29,707 Posts
I work for a company that has annual sales of $1.7B/year, where I develop new products that require approval by the president of the company due to the high investment cost ($$$$ millions). My designs help the company, I get immense respect, and really enjoy it.

My position is 5th from the top. My boss is younger than me by 20 years... he has to put up with more ****, and yet we make about the same pay (6 figures). I am responsible for guiding three engineers on their projects.

I've thought about starting my own business, and actually have something in the works (researching). However, it will be tough to beat what I have now.

I've been with this division for 23 years, and have a B.S.M.E. education.

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
bigwillis said:
sounds like youve given up already
Yes, I enjoy a large annual salary and quarterly bonuses to support my depraved lifestyle ;) When you pay more in taxes than the median income for the average person, it really does make 'giving in' worth it sometimes.

bigwillis said:
lol nice. i didnt catch that at first
The Dark Side has many tricks up its robes. :D

Entrepreneurs should be encouraged. Its is a hallmark of what has made our country part of what it is. When the entrepreneurial spirit is defeated or quashed, it is time to pack up the toys and go home.

That said, the majority of Entrepreneurs fail within the first two years of operation as they lack the experience and education to make their business prospher and grow. More than 'drive' and a 'great idea' are required to expand most businesses beyond cottage industry. Most folks will never be cut out for the drive, dedication, and sacrifice that an entrepreneurial requires. Make sure you have it within you to understand what is required, or you will face a very, very harsh road ahead.

·
CHOO-CHOO!!!!!!
14,929 Posts
Whereas I don't have a problem with authority, I am tired of being stuck in dead end work. I feel like if I just found my nitch, and made enough to support myself, I would be a lot more happy in life. Like several of the other posters, I've also thought about starting a landscaping business. I know it is a rewarding field (if you have the right accounts), but I just don't know if that's what I want to do for the rest of my life. I've thought about going back to massage therapy school, but I just don't know. I can't seem to figure out what I want to do. I've always been terrified of any major change in my life, and have always been extremely slow to make any moves whatsoever to better myself. It's not like I'm getting any younger.

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
mattsbobo said:
Whereas I don't have a problem with authority, I am tired of being stuck in dead end work. I feel like if I just found my nitch, and made enough to support myself, I would be a lot more happy in life. Like several of the other posters, I've also thought about starting a landscaping business. I know it is a rewarding field (if you have the right accounts), but I just don't know if that's what I want to do for the rest of my life. I've thought about going back to massage therapy school, but I just don't know. I can't seem to figure out what I want to do. I've always been terrified of any major change in my life, and have always been extremely slow to make any moves whatsoever to better myself. It's not like I'm getting any younger.

Try marketing and advertising. it's an amazing field :thumb:

·
CHOO-CHOO!!!!!!
14,929 Posts
CHRIS said:
Try marketing and advertising. it's an amazing field :thumb:
I've always loved both, and before my sister had kids she worked in commercial advertising. What sort of schooling is involved for that?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts