8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 07 Si sedan. I burned through my OEM Michelins, replaced with Pirelli P Zero Nero. My car is now roughly at 55k miles and I have realized that I have a nasty road whine from my tires. After three different tire shops electronically balanced my wheels and checked through my car, we figured out that my tires (be it bad tires, or bad design) simply emit massive road noise. I cannot stand it because my wife has an 08 (non Si) and I have gotten used to her quiet ride. Is there a tire out there with a decent performance rating and a nice quiet ride? And please don't tell me to go research tirerack's website. I want actual usage answers, not a different car rating the tires. Thanks to all in advance. By the way, my car is factory height, and most of the time, it's just me in the car...I have a nasty OEM negative camber issue that will be resolved before new tire installation.

·
Registered
8,223 Posts
I'm running KDW's and they put out a fair bit of road noise. I know how you feel it drives me nuts too. I've heard that the Yokohama S-drives are pretty quiet and offer good performance.

·
CHOO-CHOO!!!!!!
14,929 Posts
I just recently put BFG SS AS's on my Si. They are much better than the stock AS's, and grip a lot better. We got a few inches of snow a few days after the install, and they performed quite well. I'm told that these to have a bit of road noise, but honestly, I can't hear it over the Skunk 2.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Summer - Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R's is a high performance winter tire, usually only lasts 15-20k miles if you beat on them but they are godlike my friend.

Winter - Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22 which is a performance winter tire, which basically means they aren't speedrated to < 100mph like some winter tires or you can find a deeper tread if that's what you need.

I don't really have much road noise once the tires warm up a little bit from normal driving.

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/wheel-tire-upgrades/137901-bridgestone.html

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
goodyear eagle f1 all seasons, best tire EVER!

go to discounttiredirect.com

print the quote, bring it to a local discounttire and they'll price match. =]

·
Registered
627 Posts
i went the cheaper route and got the Nexen N5000 A/S in 225/45/17 and they are super quiet, look great, handle really well in the rain and were priced unreal for the performance they give.

i would highly recommend those.

oh, i am running completely stock wheels and suspension for now.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
what do u guys think of these Yokohama AVID W4S
Those are some good tires too if u cant afford the Advan S4s. I was personally gona get them for my new rims but I was low on budget. I'll be getting them for my next set of tires though for sure :)

·
Registered
665 Posts
BFGoodrich gForce Sports. excellent tires. im on my 2nd set(1st set on my old car lasted ~30k miles) with plans on a 3rd if theyre still around. ive gone thru many, many different tires from all brands on several different cars before i discovered these little wonders. and im gonna stick with em.

great grip, great tread life, low noise.. honestly theres not a single bad thing i can say about them.

-RWC8THC

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
ive had yokohoma s drives and then toyo proxes t1-r's and now im back on yokohoma s drives.. both are great tires that i would recomend, however the toyo proxes tread ran out at about 15k compared to yokohomas which i squeezed about 22k out of

·
Registered
243 Posts
Try the Conti Super Contacts. Very smooth ride and very good in moderate snow and in the wet. Much better than stock Michelins. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Anyone have any experience running the Yokohama S drives on a Road course? Like an HPDE event?
i ran yokohoma s drives on a road course once and they were almost bald..

besides the tires squealing around every turn they still held up pretty well. i know i could have pushed it more but since i knew they were almost done i didnt go as hard.

brand new i can only imagine them being far superior to what i was feeling. i would recommend them

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
^^^ Thanks for the input, I'm in need of new tires this spring and I have been pretty much set on getting the Yoko S' but wasn't sure how well they would hold up for a track day. In reailty I'm only going to go once this year but if I would see far better results from say a Dunlop StarSpec I would go with those, but then I run into the DD issue and if they will last long.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
my first set of yokoma's lasted me around 22k miles and i drove them across country literally...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts