8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got my car back from the shop. Long story short, the front end was tweaked and it needed to be fixed.

My problem though is that I just got the car back today after 4+ weeks of repairs on my car and while the car looks fine, for some reason on higher speed turns (like long sweepers) any small bumps will make the outside tire rub on the wheel well! These are freeways and sweepers I used to take everyday and never had this problem. but today (the first day I got it back) it rubbed every time I put some decent G's into the car and it's annoying!

What do you think this is likely from? damaged strut tower? damaged springs? I doubt they replaced it because I didn't see it on the repair list, but could they have accidentally put non-Si stuff on my suspension?! TIA!

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lemon law? I thought that had to do with new cars being defective or buying bad used car from dealerships...

in any case, I'm going to try to see them tomorrow. It's Friday though and I'm mad that I might have to live with this over the weekend.

·
Registered
17,716 Posts
lemon law? I thought that had to do with new cars being defective or buying bad used car from dealerships...

in any case, I'm going to try to see them tomorrow. It's Friday though and I'm mad that I might have to live with this over the weekend.

My car has been in the shop for 25 days due to paint issues. 5 more days and I will be pulling the lemon law. (Arkansas requires 30 days cumulitive.)

·
Registered
970 Posts
The sequence seems to be:
  • Hit pothole
  • ?
  • Replace passenger front strut
  • Get allignment
  • Notice bent roof
  • Bring to Honda Dealer
  • Fender removed
  • Disputes happen
  • Fender replaced
  • Notices rubbing

FWIW, if you fill in the above "?" it might help.

But otherwise, I'd say that replacing the fender put it back right, so now you have rubbing. And your "tweak" is a bit more like "bent" (which is consistent with the roof problem). More than once I've seen cars that have the four corners "aligned to spec" yet go down the road crabwise.

Suggest you play it safe this weekend and avoid the temptation of driving those "sweepers" at high G. (Actually, delete "this weekend" above.)

-mr. bill

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I hit the pothole, it messed up the front passenger side. pieces were replaced and the strut tower was replaced but the brace of the car was tweaked. i.e. I was able to still get an alignment even with that tweak. that's not the issue though.

For several months I drove the car tweaked before I sent the car in for full repairs in February. I never had this rubbing problem. I'd be merging onto the freeway from another freeway and there'd be a long suspended sweeper and I could take it 80 no problem in the Si.

Today I took it to the dealer and the guy test drove it with me in the car. Of course though, it doesn't happen. I'm a bit relieved only because he and I are heavier together than my girlfriend and I are when it happened last time. Hence, he told me to just keep driving the car and bring it in if it happens again.

On the way home I drove around for awhile and everything seemed good (I take that merge on the way home) so I thought maybe it was a fluke. However, it did happen again on a couple occasions...both though seemed like pretty big undulations in the road I went over. Like one sweeper that you can go 65 no squealing has a lump in the road and I could feel that it was more dramatic and caused the rubbing. Not sure if any car with Si's lower stance wouldn't rub but I never really rubbed at all before the car was repaired.

The guy at the body shop said it could be because one strut tower is newer than the other, but I've had this set of one newer (few months) one older (2 years) before the repair and never had rub issues! Hence..I guess I'm just going to keep driving and see. If it doesn't go away I guess I'll bring it back in again!

P.S. I don't drive like an a**hole. I never race. I never cut people off or weave through traffic. I go 80 or less at all times on the freeway unless passing (that's normal for SD). I just enjoy driving my Si like it's meant to be driven. My accident was just that, an accident. I wasn't trying to recreate Fast and the Furious.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.