8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
How do you like these? I was between these and yokohama s drives, but I ended up going with the s drives for my mugen gp's. They got great reviews on tirerack tho...

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do you like these? I was between these and yokohama s drives, but I ended up going with the s drives for my mugen gp's. They got great reviews on tirerack tho...
Excellent tires overall, even before you consider the price. I expect that you give up a little traction over something like the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec or one of the other Extreme Performance Summer tires, but these are very civil on the street and carry a very reasonable tread wear rating. I don't think they are much noiser than the OEM All-Season tires and don't feel like I gave up much comfort either. Traction, handling and balance are impressive considering that I stayed with the stock 215 width when I bought my new rims. These tires do everything I'd ever feel even close to comfortable doing on a public road.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I did not care for these once I hit 10,000 miles, as the road noise and comfort became pretty uncomfortable. Their performance left some to be desired when pushed to the limit... It's a very hard tire, so they grip harshly and tend to overcommunicate. This isn't to say it's a bad tire, but just not my cup of tea. If comfort is a big concern, I'd consider something else.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I did not care for these once I hit 10,000 miles, as the road noise and comfort became pretty uncomfortable. Their performance left some to be desired when pushed to the limit... It's a very hard tire, so they grip harshly and tend to overcommunicate. This isn't to say it's a bad tire, but just not my cup of tea. If comfort is a big concern, I'd consider something else.
Couldn't disagree more. I put 225/40-18 HTRZIIIs on my car and they ride MUCH better than the old Toyos that were on there and the ride quality is exactly the same as the OEM wheels/tires. They are not at all loud and the handling is fantastic for all kinds of spirited driving. It is not the best all out dry traction tire out there, but it is not intended to be either. It is a great all around performance tire at a great price. Getting a $50 discount is just a bonus!

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I have no idea why that guy saiys it's loud and uncomfortable. The HTR Z III is an excellent all around street tire with good wet traction. However, if you autocross, get something else. Not saying the handling sucks. Last year I did lots of canyon run with these tires. I am still alive. Just very recently I started to autocross and now I feel the side wall is too soft for autocrossing. That's why it is QUIET and comfortable compared to other performance tires.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Couldn't disagree more. I put 225/40-18 HTRZIIIs on my car and they ride MUCH better than the old Toyos that were on there and the ride quality is exactly the same as the OEM wheels/tires. They are not at all loud and the handling is fantastic for all kinds of spirited driving. It is not the best all out dry traction tire out there, but it is not intended to be either. It is a great all around performance tire at a great price. Getting a $50 discount is just a bonus!
That's cool, I agree with your positive points for the tire. I just wasn't into it myself. Different strokes for different folks.

I think if I were to have rotated them much more frequently (like, every 2,000 miles or so,) I could've bypassed the noise issue caused from excessive rear negative camber wear. Once I got to around 10,000 miles, with just a few weeks of collective autocross abuse on them, they got pretty noisy and harsh.

I also failed to mention their qualities in my post regarding grip and performance: pretty good, but ultra chatty. Good for track driving, since feedback is what you want, but it can be nightmarish for daily driving once they wear down a fair amount of tread. Run over a penny in a road? Yeah, you sure as hell did, because you felt it. :p

·
Registered
117 Posts
I was looking at these.....

I drive ALOT of highways miles a year, 20k. You guys think I can atleast get that many miles out of them?

Also I dont push the car at all, strictly a commuter LX with Si wheels

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
That's cool, I agree with your positive points for the tire. I just wasn't into it myself. Different strokes for different folks.

I think if I were to have rotated them much more frequently (like, every 2,000 miles or so,) I could've bypassed the noise issue caused from excessive rear negative camber wear. Once I got to around 10,000 miles, with just a few weeks of collective autocross abuse on them, they got pretty noisy and harsh.

I also failed to mention their qualities in my post regarding grip and performance: pretty good, but ultra chatty. Good for track driving, since feedback is what you want, but it can be nightmarish for daily driving once they wear down a fair amount of tread. Run over a penny in a road? Yeah, you sure as hell did, because you felt it. :p
It's no problem. I was just offering up my experience with them because in going to a lower aspect ratio on the 18" wheels I was concerned about ride quality since I commute 60+ miles each day. I was surprised at how good the ride quality was on these tires. I am always amazed at the different opinions from people when reviewing tires though, so this is really no different. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was looking at these.....

I drive ALOT of highways miles a year, 20k. You guys think I can atleast get that many miles out of them?

Also I dont push the car at all, strictly a commuter LX with Si wheels
I wouldn't go with these tires if you aren't interested in the high performance aspects of them because you will see a reduction in MPG due to higher rolling resistance. There are tons of tires that will get a commuter Civic LX over 40,000-60,000 miles that offer enough traction for the suspension and power that the LX has and offer lower rolling resistance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts