8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick Question... when I bought my rims and tires off of tirerack.com a year ago they had weights on the inside of the rims to obviously distribute the weight evenly on all 4 tires. I understand this... well the other day I took my si to a tire place to get my brand new yokohama s drive tires put on my rims. Well a couple days later (being today) I noticed some of the weights on my front two rims were pryed off and you can tell where the tape still remains. I asked them why this was done and they said they had to re-balance them... I might sound like an idiot, so be it but I want a straight answer. It just doesnt make sense to me. Same rim... Stock size tire (same as before)... but different weight? And why wouldnt they say anything? where the weights were removed looks like crap and scratched up...

·
Hidy Ho Neighbor
29,707 Posts
Anytime you change/remove a tire, the wheel needs to be rebalanced.

If they scratched your rims during the process due to their carelessness, then I believe you are in the right to demand compensation.

** Moved to wheels & tires section **

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
same rim and same size doesn't mean anything when it comes to balancing. just taking the tire off and roatating it 180 degrees can change the way it needs to be balanced. you changed type of tire too so everything is going to change. no rim and tire is "perfectly" balanced all the way around, so thats why you need weights to make them balanced.

if your worried about the left over doube sided tape, buy some googone or something and clean them up. as for the scratchs..thats up to you to get the tire place to be convinced of repairing it (highly doubtful unless they are deep scratchs into the finish). anyways what the place told you is truthfull and they don't have to tell you there taking the weights off cause you approved the mounting and balancing of your new tires.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts