8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been driving stick now for 2 months and i'd say i'm shifting smoothly about 90% of the time. i know how to make it smooth durring normal driving. but when i'm reving it into vtec i find it hard to shift smoothly. i know it'll be a little jerky, but i get like a jolt the way i'm doing it. like the car wasn't ready to be floored. the way i shift is rev till it blinks, off gas, clutch in, shift. floor the gas as i'm letting the clutch out. any tips for high rev full throttle shifting?

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
Who still double clutches? My shifts are always smooth and i have never double clutched. I don't see the time/smoothness benifit in a tranny with synchronizers. My 94 GSR had 135,000 on it and was just as smooth on that day as day one without all that double clutching.

Just keep practicing. You will get it. Move your clutch foot faster and your shift action faster to match. I'm not all the way back on the gas while the clutch is still on its way out. I don't prefer the smell of buring clutch.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
feathering the clutch is most important for fluidity. If your looking for raw speed smoothness will not get you fastest speed. Let out the clutch slowly but not too slowly.

BTW the double clutch comment guys please see Fast And Furious again for the reference.

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
Firestrife said:
BTW the double clutch comment guys please see Fast And Furious again for the reference.

Is that supposed to be sarcastic or did you just really reference Fast and the Furious for driving tips?

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Sirbelch said:
Is that supposed to be sarcastic or did you just really reference Fast and the Furious for driving tips?
1. That was not me who posted that
2. He was being Sarcastic.
3. Have some Cake.

·
Registered
968 Posts
try not letting off the gas all the way during normal driving. leave about 5% throttle during shifting and it smooths out the shifts so you dont bang your mounts.

·
Premium Member
13,469 Posts
I Just ROLF'd all over my keyboard at the fast and the rice refferance... lol, pure gold, but realy, if you want to stay in Vtec through al your gears then shift at 8000rpm and keep the gas pegged as you shift, not good for clutch not good for tranny and just generaly not a good idea...

Unless you want to melt off the tires in 1st 2nd and cherp it in third... then go for it, barring that i'd just shift at 7800 and let out the clutch normaly, not like in raceing anyone, i just like hearing veetack...

·
Premium Member
13,469 Posts
me and the madd scientist are gonna have to rip apart that motar and swap out those piston rings that you fried....

also how did he pick up the other guy if his floor fell off, you know cuz of the manifold pressure was too high...

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
Firestrife said:
3. Have some Cake.

Some people in this country actually think FF is real. I just had to check. I don't have any cake, but i do have some cup cakes and that sounds tasty

·
Registered
673 Posts
Firestrife said:
3. Have some Cake.
HAHA! "Have some cake"!

Funny hnow many people took that granny shift comment seriously.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts