8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Doraemon!
28,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The Courage tipped at the port in Jersey City causing major damage to over 300 BMWs not including 70+ cars that were total losses.

A majority of the destroyed vehicles were M3s, with a variety of 3- and 1-Series models. A small number of the cars destroyed had German Tourist plates on them, and those European delivery customers will not be getting their cars back.

Those cars that were a total loss will be crushed, according to a BMW rep, stating that they will not be auctioned as there is a liability for letting those cars on the road. The shipping company's insurance is footing the bill.

Those cars with light damage will be repaired at the Elizabeth Receiving Facility and sold through BMW's dealer network as new cars.

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
Those cars with light damage will be repaired at the Elizabeth Receiving Facility and sold through BMW's dealer network as new cars.

That is complete and utter bullshit.

Wow. I can't begin to explain how furious that makes me.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts

That is complete and utter bullshit.

Wow. I can't begin to explain how furious that makes me.
That is unbelievable. wow.

gotta love BMW:thumb:

·
Doraemon!
28,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Some history on the ship about two years ago:

Turns out that the M/V Courage, now owned by American Roll-On Roll-Off Carriers LLC, was involved an a fire and loss of power incident just about a year ago. This information taken from the website of an law firm which tracks marine casualties: "52,000-gt car carrier M/V Courage (built 1991) returned to Southampton over the weekend after an engine room fire caused her to lose power -- operated by Interocean American Shipping of the U.S., the vessel was carrying cars from the UK port to New York when oil coming from a generator caused engine lagging to catch fire alight. Portland Coastguard was alerted on Jan. 15, that the 22-strong crew were without power & steering 27 miles SE of Portland Bill. But power was restored & vessel returned to Southampton for checks. Coastguard said drifting vessel had not posed danger to shipping as it was outside the main traffic route. From our Sr. Correspondent Tim Schwabedissen (Wed. Jan. 18 2006)" ship tipped while it was docked in port.

·
Registered
7,438 Posts

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Wow, that is really sad. In my own sick way, I am relieved that it is not me for once that was waiting endlessly for my new car to arrive only to have something really bizzare happen....

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Sold as new cars. I don't think that is not legal unless they disclose it. If the cost of the repair exceeds 6% of the car's value they must by law list the repair on an invoice when you purchase the car.

Good post by Webby: http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/8thcivic-com-site-news/1086-think-your-car-really-new.html
I think it is if the damages are over 500 dollars the dealership has to tell the buyer. I am a member at the m3 forum and everyone was talking about this on their also, a pretty sad thing to see :(.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts