8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This being the 1st car I've had tinted and I'm on info overload.

LA is 40% on the front.

The shop I like so far offers Llumar but only the ATR line and the ATR 50, which by the specs, shows it's actually a 55% tint. Kinda of light to my eyes.

Llumar doesn't offer anything else in ATR until the 35, illegal here they won't sell it.

Next up... Solar Gard HP Charcoal. They offer a darker tint, but from what I've been reading, I'm not sure this is good quality, seems adhesive problem and tends to fade?

Neither of those the shop said warrants against fading/color change.

Next shop. Madico. Onyx it looks like. Only thing I've read is not enough to come to a conclusion really. Some great, some not so great, but the % choices get closer to legal limits.

Dot Matrix, the shop said they'd sand with brillo pads to get it to stick there. I've read a lot and this seems a good way to do so.

So.... $189 for the atr50, which is 55% or $179 for either the solar gard HP Charcoal or Madico Onyx which is closer to the 40% legal limit.

Is it possible that things would look okay if I did the fronts with solar gard and the rest with Llumar or would the colors not even match close enough to look good?

Suggestions???? What to do.. what to do!

·
Premium Member
26,381 Posts
You should probably use the same film all around, or it will probably end up looking strange. Other than that, it all depends on what you want on your car. I selected a somewhat strange film for my car because it blended better with my paint--it'd probably look terrible on some of the other color choices (the film I used is no longer available.)

I suggest sticking with the legal limit too, even though darker tint looks better. Good luck :thumb:

Inspect your tint job carefully before you drive away. Make them fix any imperfections b/c it will probably be a hassle to get them to fix them later.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm going to go with the Solar Gard HP Charcoal 43 for the fronts, 32 for the sides and either 22 or 13 for the back window, as it is as dark as I can go within the law. The Llumar had too much of a green hue to it and I have a NHBP car and it just wouldn't look good in my estimation.

Plus this shop does really good work.

The other shops would cut off the tint at the dot matrix and said the edges on the whole back window would probably lift just a little bit and not to worry about it..you can't "really" notice.

PFFFFFFFFT on that..

The shop with Madico dropped that line the day after I called and went to Llumar, but they didn't look like they did good work either.

Don't shops know not to put out their cruddy work on the lot? Maybe most people just don't care and want the cheapest they can find.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Limo all the way around and windshield tinted at 30%. Im happy and its DARK. Oh yeah and DO NOT do different tint all around. It will look dumb both outside AND inside the car.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, but to me 43 just isn't dark enough to go all the way around. I may do the fronts and little windows with 43 and go with a 22 on the back though. I gotta stay legal.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I'd tell you limo all the way around, but legal is not the same ;)

Whatever you choose, do it the same for all 5 windows...don't go dark in the back and lighter up front :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts