8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone get the top of their windshield tinted? I'm looking to do this in addition to all the other windows. I just wanted to see how far down the windshield some of you went. Pics would be nice. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Yes, 5% strip. I do not do it for 'looks' but for glare reduction. I tend to drive directly into the sun in the morning and hate glare.

Tinted about 35% down the window, below the AS1 line (which is illegal here to go below the AS1 line...but that line is way too far up there to be of any use on the Si coupe window)

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I have it on my car also, guy at the tint shop added it in with the tint and thought i might like it.

i dont got any pics right now cuz im not on my computer but will post up pics when i do get home.

deffinately worth it though, dont have to pully down the sun visors at all. does a great job of blocking out the sun on my way to work.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Anyone get the top of their windshield tinted? I'm looking to do this in addition to all the other windows. I just wanted to see how far down the windshield some of you went. Pics would be nice. Thanks in advance!
fyi i think the law in CA about windshield tints is no more than 4 in. down and no more than a 35% tint

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Mine is more than 4 inches, and more than 35% tint. I've never been hassled by the police about it. The only thing I have a problem with is the dot matrix (front and back). I am going to go back to the tint shop to get the dot matrix painted. The white area looks bad.

Oh yeah. Be careful if you are going limo. The rear can be hard to see out of during the night time.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for sharing everyone. I'm getting the strip done to help with the morning and late afternoon sun glare. I'm going with a medium shade all the way around for the other windows.

·
Registered
281 Posts
you getting the work done at black diamond? they did mine and I'm extremely happy. Later, i'm having them do the rollups and sunroof.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Anyone experience any problems with the dots on the center of the windshield? Meaning does the tint adhere to that section?

Hmmm...never though about tinting the sunroof.

·
Registered
281 Posts
so far, no probs with the dots. i actually work down in valencia, so maybe you can check it and the shifter I have (corsport, but no bushings).

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so far, no probs with the dots. i actually work down in valencia, so maybe you can check it and the shifter I have (corsport, but no bushings).
Definitely! Where abouts in Valencia do you work? I live in Valencia and work in Northridge. My schedule is pretty flexible so let me know when's a good time for you.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Anyone experience any problems with the dots on the center of the windshield? Meaning does the tint adhere to that section?

Hmmm...never though about tinting the sunroof.
There is a little problem for me in that area. The first week, it was still wet and looked completely normal. Later on, parts of it were a different shade. It's not that noticeable unless you really look at it though. The only dots you have to worry about is on the top of the rear window.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
The way I do my windshield strips is I have my customer sit in the car. Then I move it up and down until it's where they want it. This way it's above their direct line of vision and they are comfortable with it's placement.

I also "curve" it to follow the roof line. If it's applied with just the straight edge on it then it curves downwards and it's thick on the sides and thin in the middle.

Get it done with 5% or don't even bother. On my friend's cars I usually do a double strip and put a second layer of 5% on just the top half of their strip. This way it's double dark at the very top. The sun will still blind you through that!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The way I do my windshield strips is I have my customer sit in the car. Then I move it up and down until it's where they want it. This way it's above their direct line of vision and they are comfortable with it's placement.

I also "curve" it to follow the roof line. If it's applied with just the straight edge on it then it curves downwards and it's thick on the sides and thin in the middle.

Get it done with 5% or don't even bother. On my friend's cars I usually do a double strip and put a second layer of 5% on just the top half of their strip. This way it's double dark at the very top. The sun will still blind you through that!

Good tips! Thanks.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts