8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to tint my windows on my ABM 20% all around. The only thing holding me back is the rear window. The antenna for the radio and the heating elements for the defroster are on the rear window and I dont want to mess any of that up. Are there any special precautions that have to be taken when tinting the rear window?

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
I have metallic tint on my rear window. AM radio doesnt work as well anymore. It only works like 1% of the time now.... which is almost never. Everything else works fine.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thanks for the responses. My dad has a guy that has done several cars for him including my old jeep. He does it on the side so I wouldnt call him "professional" but he did a pretty good job, not perfect but satisfactory. Im thinking maybe Ill do it professionally instead of this guy. The only thing is that he is cheap lol so i would be saving money with him.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey but when you guys tinted the rear window, at does it seem to be foggy? i mean when you are driving the other cars' lights seem blurry?

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
does it mess anything up if you remove the tint of the rear window????

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
try to go with a non-metallic tint if you are worried about your radio signals

i have 5% non-metallic tint on all 3 of my rear windows and everythings fine(radio, rear defroster, etc.). i do have that fish-bowl type effect when looking out but i believe that i due to the poor quality of the tint (i got the tint job for CHEAP, but now i regret it)

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
it shouldnt mess upanything since its just a film over the window. the only thing id be worried about is residue however, if they are a reputable place, they should know how to clean up everything (considering people get "fix it" tickets all the time where they are told to remove the tint)

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
usually, you get what you pay for when it comes to tint. You cant sacrifice quality for cheapness. Its a long-term investment.

My 2000 CR-V has 10% on rear and didnt mess with anything. it was like $200+ for it but it didnt start fading to purple till just recently. took 9 years for it to go down. Better tint shouldnt fade at all

edit: ^^and yes manny, you'll usually run the risk of peeling off a small section of the defroster. even if you **** up one little part of it, that bar is deemed useless cuz it doesnt finish the connection to each side.

·
Registered
22,033 Posts
its not weather or not if the tint is cheap or not, my friend (Blue JDM Coupe1016) went with the "tinted window" look for a while now and now he wants to go for the "clean" look w/o tints.........so does anybody know if itll f'ck up the rear defroster by removing it?

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
^ really? so higher grade tint isnt more expensive?

and you CAN do it w/o ******* up the defroster, but you run the risk of it if you just try prying it off.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts