8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I need your help. Timing was a little noisy when the mileage was about 290kkm, so decided to change it. Bought timing chain and the tensioner form AutoZone. When compared both the new was much shorter.
Installed it. The chan was still noisy but I was driving every day for about 20kkm, then one evening when was cold day the chain jumped .
I could not start the engine. Bought another one oem used one , installed , then still noisy.
Finally, bought from Honda, a new one OEM the whole kit (sprockets, chain,tensioner, both guides.)installed today, but still noisy when cold.
Can someone tell me what is going on? Why after instaling everything new still is noisy and rattles for 1-2 seconds . I think it will jump again if not fixed. Is there any problem, with the pressure going to the tensioner ? Please advise .
This is 1.8 l engine 2006 civic

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks. I have another oil pump from the spare engine with aprox. 140kkm, so will try to swap it. Do you think the pump could be bad or the main bearings have to much clearance ? the mileage is not that high and I changed engine oil regularly. Have to try all possibilities, do not want to give up on this car yet.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hello,
I need your help. Timing was a little noisy when the mileage was about 290kkm, so decided to change it. Bought timing chain and the tensioner form AutoZone. When compared both the new was much shorter.
Installed it. The chan was still noisy but I was driving every day for about 20kkm, then one evening when was cold day the chain jumped .
I could not start the engine. Bought another one oem used one , installed , then still noisy.
Finally, bought from Honda, a new one OEM the whole kit (sprockets, chain,tensioner, both guides.)installed today, but still noisy when cold.
Can someone tell me what is going on? Why after instaling everything new still is noisy and rattles for 1-2 seconds . I think it will jump again if not fixed. Is there any problem, with the pressure going to the tensioner ? Please advise .
This is 1.8 l engine 2006 civic
Might be a dumb question but are you 100% sure the noise is the timing chain? My serpentine tensioner was worn out and was moving around so much it was hitting the timing cover on cold starts. Sounded a lot like chain rattle,and went away after a couple minutes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes. I am 100% sure. After i installed AutoZone chain and tensioner it last for about 20kkm then the chain jumped a few teeth , then the engine won;t start. Next , i used another brand but get the same noise, so decided to go with OEM before jumps again. installed OEM the while kit four days ago. the same result. The belt tensioner is new one as well. the noise last 1-2 sec, when cold weather , cold engine. I changed engine oil , too. no idea what else could cause the issue. If keep driving like this , probably one day that chain jumps and will be stranded again.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am curious why you would put on a timing chain that was shorter than the original? I don't trust aftermarket parts since Advance gave me a halfshaft that was too long because it was in their system incorrectly, and I didn't compare lengths before trying to put it in. Tried to force it before realizing it was longer and I think I damaged something, tranny went about 5K miles then quit.

I would second checking the oil pump, but the jumping problem didn't start till you put the shorter chain in right? Possibly the tensioner wouldn't work properly with the shorter chain, being compressed too far could have restricted oil flow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I compared the original chain tensioner and it was about 14mm extended. When installed the atermarket one chain and tensioner and rotated crankshaft a few times , the tensioner was about 10mm. I think it is a normal number. Also, I compared the length of both outside the engine and the aftermarket was a little bit shorter. the new OEM after installing was about 11.2mm. In my opinion , the problem is the amount of oil pumped to the tensioner , or the oil is drained when the car is unused for a while in a cold temperature.Also, when the the engine is warm at normal temperature, easily can hear the chain noise. I do not think it is normal. I can record a short video so you can listen to it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am curious why you would put on a timing chain that was shorter than the original? I don't trust aftermarket parts since Advance gave me a halfshaft that was too long because it was in their system incorrectly, and I didn't compare lengths before trying to put it in. Tried to force it before realizing it was longer and I think I damaged something, tranny went about 5K miles then quit.

I would second checking the oil pump, but the jumping problem didn't start till you put the shorter chain in right? Possibly the tensioner wouldn't work properly with the shorter chain, being compressed too far could have restricted oil flow.
remember new chains should be a little shorter than worn out old ones, i don't think they should make a jumping problem though.the other guy is right you have to double ck stuff.

·
Registered
48 Posts
remember new chains should be a little shorter than worn out old ones, i don't think they should make a jumping problem though.the other guy is right you have to double ck stuff.
He said "much" shorter, I took that to mean more than you would expect because of stretch.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Any timing chain change should replace the tensioner and guides. Years ago I worked on a Mitsubishi and failed to replace tension spring and oil pump. I ended up replacing valves and doing job over! Honda’s are not easy and I’d personally only use OEM parts here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts