8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A guy i work with claims that the timing chain on Honda's always goes at like 150,000 miles and he claims this just because he heard it happen to someone. Is this true? Because I told him he's full of crap cuz i know people who drive their hondas for way more miles then that and never had a problem. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I thought the Civic uses a timing belt. I believe the maintenance schedule calls for replacing the timing belt at 120,000 miles, though I may be remembering incorrectly.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
I thought the Civic uses a timing belt. I believe the maintenance schedule calls for replacing the timing belt at 120,000 miles, though I may be remembering incorrectly.
all 06+ civic use timing chain not belt anymore, but i'm not sure about the hybrid one. i think they probably last longer than 150,000 miles if you don't push them too hard all the time.

·
Registered
504 Posts
To be sure, just have it replaced at the specified service schedule. It probably pays for itself as opposed to having a breakdown (and make more damage). It will likely survive 150k miles, but I wouldn't risk finding out if it doesn't.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I replaced mine at 600 miles and will continue to replace my timing chain every 3000 miles. I use Amsoil chains btw.

·
Scrodums
9,486 Posts
I replaced mine at 600 miles and will continue to replace my timing chain every 3000 miles. I use Amsoil chains btw.
Can you provide a detailed explanation as to why it's being replaced every 3000 miles?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Aolt of the time its not even the chain that fails but the guides that guide the chain. I have seen that several times in my dads shop

·
Registered
970 Posts
OK, to a first approximation, the chain will outlive the engine.

If you take care of your engine, the chain will outlive the engine.
If you *ABUSE* your engine, the chain will outlive the engine. A timing chain failure is *not* the sign of abuse. If abused, something ELSE on the engine will break long before you break the timing chain.

The only service limit applied to the chain is to inspect the tensioner rod length. On the K20Z3, if the length is longer than 13.5mm, replace the cam chain *AND* oil chain. Else, nada.

I've heard of *ONE* K20Z3 where the owner claimed the "timing chain jumped off." But it also has a new clutch, rebuilt transmission, new brake rotors, and a few sets of tires. Now, either this is the perfect storm of manufacturing defects, or....

-mr. bill

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
mr. bill isnt it a concern though that they stretch...I have heard (mainly in domestics) that these chains will stretch and realistically they could in theory throw off time to some degree....

I have heard about the chains jumping but this problem is occuring in built k20/24's with high lift high duration cams mainly skunk2's

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
all 06+ civic use timing chain not belt anymore, but i'm not sure about the hybrid one. i think they probably last longer than 150,000 miles if you don't push them too hard all the time.

Hybrid motors are a derivative of a k series, so there's a chain as well

1 - 20 of 35 Posts