8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Just got done replacing timing chain tensioner and chain in my brother's 08 Si. The car has 166k miles on it, and I think all the timing components were original. Car threw a P0341 (as I remember) and went into a limp mode. The tensioner extension was measured to be around 17 mm. This was well over the 13.5 mm service limit in the service manual, and I imagine the crank sprocket skipped a tooth triggering the code. I put in a new Drag Cartel Heavy Duty Timing Chain from Kseriesparts, and a K-tuned tensioner. I also installed a lower chain guide at the same time from Drag Cartel. When I put the tensioner it, the piston was not all the way within the body of the tensioner as it came from the package. I didn't think much of it, but I installed it as is. When I pulled the pin to allow it to ratchet out, the piston didn't really extend much and it never engaged with a set tooth on the rack.

After starting the car, everything was running fine and no lights or idle issues. Car revved fine, and things were good. However, after a few minutes of warming up, a slight rattle was noticed from the chain area. We pulled the serpentine belt off to eliminate any of the auxiliary systems like idler pulley, water pump, alternator, etc. The sound still persisted.

Finally drawing concern from the way the tensioner loaded up, I opened up the access cover to that and noticed that it still hadn't engaged with a definite tooth on the rack. Not trusting the tensioner, we replaced it with a Hybrid-Racing unit as my brother is planning to do cams in the future, and I was more confident in that unit. Install went fine, and the piston extended from the tensioner just fine. However, the same thing happened this time after a few minutes of a cold start. No noise, then the rattle suddenly returned. Sounds the same as last time, and now I am guessing I will have to open it all up again to fix whatever is wrong.

I am just conjuring up possibilities at this point. My guess is the guides as they weren't replaced and it seems they might be susceptible to thermal expansion issues being two different materials assembled together hence the sound development after a few minutes at idle from a cold start. However, before I pull the trigger on new guides and do this all over again, do you guys have any ideas what else could be causing the issue? The drag cartel chain guide, drag cartel heavy duty chain, etc.?

Thanks in advance for the feedback and help.
-Tim

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will try to grab a video this weekend. As for any other mods, everything is stock except for a hybrid racing intake, and skunk 2 header, with a full race exhaust. Has a base map from the FlashPro, and that's it for engine mods. Mentioned earlier, running a Drag Cartel heavy duty chain, Drag Cartel lower crank guide, and a hybrid racing tensioner for timing equipment.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Guys,

A little late in posting this, but this is the sound I am hearing when the engine is up to temp. I don't believe it is the serpentine belt tensioner pulley as that was just replaced with a genuine Honda one less than 1k miles ago. When the issue first happened with the first tensioner from Ktuned, I took the serpentine belt off briefly and still heard the sound. Let me know what you think.
2008 Civic Si Timing Chain Rattle at Idle

·
Premium Member
1,050 Posts
Very hard to tell... I recommend pulling it all off and replacing the guides, chain, and bolts, and hardware with OEM parts. Perform a valve adjustment and make sure you follow the helms manual perfectly for putting everything back together and torquing it down.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply. I understand replacing the guides, but why the mistrust of the Drag Cartel Heavy Duty Chain? Not disagreeing, but would just like to understand the thought process with this one.

·
Premium Member
1,050 Posts
It's not mistrust but in my experience, bringing things back to OEM gives you a baseline to isolate the problem. Then once you no longer have the noise, you can add one part back at a time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts