8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, been lurking on the website for some time now and been searching for answers lately without much luck. I'm pretty sure the "stock" suspension that came on my Mugen is shot after 155k miles, so, what should I replace it with?

I don't have the money to drop on a good set of coil overs, plus the roads in NJ are AWFUL after this winter. Not looking to lower it anymore than it already is, so, gimme some suggestions!

I've read some stuff on the Skunk 2 setups, friends say only go with Koni or Bilstein and I see Tokico keep popping up. I have to do both the front struts and rear shocks, so based on experience, what do you suggest? I would replace with the OEM equipment, but it seems hard to find 10 years later and I saw a price of $500 per strut just for the front! Might as well go coilover for that price!

Any help or suggestions will help! Thanks!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Glad to see a Mugen Si with lots of miles on it! Good condition Mugen Si's will probably fetch a lot of money if they don't already! Especially one that is all-stock :) :vtec:

While the OE Mugen parts are expensive, you shouldn't exactly be surprised by that, given the $10k premium the Mugen Si sold for over the regular Si when new and didn't even include any extra power or any engine upgrades. As you know, Mugen is a highly reputable Honda tuner founded by Soichiro's son.

That said, if the Mugen parts are NLA and/or you don't want to spend the money on them, my choice would be the Honda HFP kit. You get all four shocks and struts, and the springs, for about $600-700. And the front struts are pre-assembled. This HFP kit is probably your best option given what you are looking for.

eBay item #110711082655 is the HFP kit for $700

I also found both OEM Mugen front struts for $350
eBay item #181916397751

shox.com has a set of Tokico HTS adjustable shocks for $800, or the H&R coilovers for $999

Few coilovers are worth buying, other than HFP, Koni/Bilstein/Tokico/etc. Especially coming from OEM Mugen. The cheap ones will ride worse and won't handle any better--than your worn OEM suspension, let alone brand new parts from a reputable company.

If the main issue is money, you could probably sell your Mugen Si and get a regular Si for less than what you'd sell your Mugen for, get all-new shocks and struts for the new car and still have money left over.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank-you so much for your detailed response! I definitely want to hold onto this car. The plan is to get a 2nd car and slowly "restore" this one since it has been my daily driver for almost 10 years now from when I got it used. I saw those "mugen" shocks listed on ebay for $350 and they aren't mugen. I have sent the guy 3 messages asking for the part number off them and if you look close you can see it and they are just standard civic shocks, nothing mugen about them at all!

I did want to keep the springs that I currently have on the car for the lowered stance and stiffness compared to a regular civic, so if I can swap the springs with the HFP kit, that might be an option if they aren't the same ride height.

Thanks again for your reply, points me in the right direction! Cheers!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So, next question, that honda HFP kit on ebay says its for a 2 door coupe, does that matter? I haven't done enough part # comparison to see if the coupes and sedans use the same suspensions with the same part #'s

eBay item #110711082655 is the HFP kit for $700

Edit: Upon going into that listing it says it won't fit SI models anyway :-(

Edit #2: - I found a sport suspension for the SI's. I can't post the link though since I am a newer user. It's at hondapartsnow. The first damper is part #
08W60-SNX-1M0A1. I assume the shocks in the rear are the same for either side since they only have 1 part number listed for the rear

·
Registered
79 Posts
ALL 8th gen Civics use the same suspension setup. Any 8th gen shocks will fit any other 8th gen. Coupe, sedan, Si, Mugen, even the DX/LX/EX and the hybrid and GX. They are all interchangeable. Even though they may use different part numbers, they will fit just fine.

The HFP kit will fit your Si model, Mugen or not. They will even fit a GX.

Sorry about the $350 pair not being Mugen. I will admit that I don't know the part numbers for the Mugen shocks or even knowing much about them at all.

You can swap the springs. You would just have to disassemble the strut and then swap your springs on. It would be just like replacing a bare strut body.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome info! Thanks again! I kinda had a feeling all the 8th gen would use the same parts. Just a pain searching on ebay sometimes and it saying ONLY for coupes or sedans and then even in the descriptions saying on the EX, or Si or not...

Yeah, no worries on that $350 "mugen" setup. I've been watching it for like a year now and just the other day zoomed in on the part #'s. I'm just ticked the guy has it listed incorrectly ;-).

Thanks again for all your help!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just did some research on the OEM Mugen shocks, and it appears that the $500 front struts are complete assemblies, including the mount and spring. 51601/51602-XVJ-000

I found this page with the Mugen suspension parts list.

For reference, the OEM complete assemblies for the DX/LX/EX from the dealer are about $300 each

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice! Thanks for that! I pulled my winter wheels off the other day and finally got the front part #'s. Same on both front struts... hmm... Not many searches turning up any usable info on the part number, just a discussion on this website under Mugen Si Sedan Suspension back in 2007.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was wondering if I was just wanting to replace my front suspension would I just need to order the Left/Right Shock Absorbers (#1 &2) or would I also need to order the hardware #5?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nice! Thanks for that! I pulled my winter wheels off the other day and finally got the front part #'s. Same on both front struts... hmm... Not many searches turning up any usable info on the part number, just a discussion on this website under Mugen Si Sedan Suspension back in 2007.
BUMP!

Hey Photoman. I also have an old (even older now since your post) Mugen Si. Mine now has 160k miles and it's been my DD since 7 years now. I also bought it used.

So what did you end up doing with your suspension?

So my story goes like this: My front passenger strut is making some noises on every bump and went to a shop to have that checked. Turns out the strut mount is broken and they also told me there's a lot of noises coming out of the suspension overall. They also told me the strut mount is not the same as the regular Si suspension and that if I want to replace broken mount, Honda sells the whole Strut assembly only for the Mugen Si USDM. Man what a PITA...

They didn't say the struts have gone bad, it's just the mounts. It still drives very good, but with some noises here and there. So I'm thinking what to do. The Mugen Si is quite a rare car and not many people in this forum talk about details such as the "Strut mount" of the Mugen suspension (I also had a look at those old 2007 topics about Mugen Si suspension).

Should I replace the suspension on all 4 struts? Should I keep the springs at least, to keep the same 0.6" drop? I saw some HFP Killer kit that they have somewhere online and comes highly recommended. It's a custom set of Koni's Shocks and Tein Springs. Just google "HFP Killer". Anybody have any thoughts on that one, when coming from a Mugen Si suspension? Would it be lower, stiffer, etc?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts