8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my little wrench came on for the first time this morning at about 4150 miles. do you guys think i should take it to the dealer for the first oil change? i want to go synthetic (preferably mobile 1) will i be able to request that at the dealer? or do they only use honda oil. how is honda's synthetic? my other option would be taking it to my local mechanic that i know and trust. (my dealership is usually packed and i hate bringing the car there) is there any reason i should take it to the dealer?

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
The only reason I can think of to take it to the dealer is if you have a free oil change coupon from when you bought the car, otherwise do it yourself.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
exactly ^

money has been tied up for things around the house for me, so when its time to get my first oil change im gonna opt for the dealer.

after that i think i am just going to do it myself.

·
Registered
49 Posts
yeah, I hope you have skinny arms. Make sure to get a filter cap wrench or be prepared to jam a screwdriver through the filter to get it off. I think they use a 100ft-lb wrench to get that thing on at the factory. Have fun.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Oil change at my dealer is relatively cheap. $40 includes standard oil, filter, a 19 point (I think it was 19), and a car wash. Add $30 for synthetic. If I could turn back time, I would have brought 2 quarts of Amsoil MTF for them to change.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
changing it myself is not an option. it's either dealer or shop. now if i want mobil 1 in there, can i bring that to the dealer and have them use that? has anyone used the honda synthetic? how is it?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i can get 6qts of mobil 1 for 30 bucks at sams club, how much do you think the shop would charge for filter/swap of the oil? it's probably cheaper for me to go this way rather than the dealership right?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
bring the mobil1 to honda.. id stay away from shady places unless they're a local "mom and pop" shop that you trust

but why is DIY not an option?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
shutter13 said:
bring the mobil1 to honda.. id stay away from shady places unless they're a local "mom and pop" shop that you trust

but why is DIY not an option?

well i've had all my work done in the past at this place, i was happy with the service and the guy knows me. why would you suggest the dealership over a shop? i feel like the dealership is more likely to screw me over. you all know how the service dept. is. the one here is always packed, and the people there have an attitude.

i'm not doing it myself because i don't have the time/energy/will to do it plus i don't feel safe getting under a car with it only being held up with a jack stand. i've heard cases where they've failed.

·
Registered
637 Posts
This is one of the reasons I'm thankful for this forum. I had read about what a PITA the oil changes are on this car and made lifetime oil changes part of the deal when I was negotiating to buy the car. Save yourself the aggravation and take it in to have it done.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
jackstands do not fail.... floor jacks do

for an oil change you'll be using 2 jack stands up front... most likely 3 ton rated stands... so thats a 6 ton capacity... 12,000 pounds... and our Si weighs less than 1/4 of that :D

oil changes are pretty quick... and my oil filter came off easy.. just get a swivel head filter wrench.. i promise its not that hard

its much more satisfying to do it yourself, cheaper, and you know nobody F'ed with your pride and joy (i like doing work myself because i know i care about my car alot more than some joe shmo)

·
Registered
28,322 Posts
Nothing like getting an oil change done at the stealership & finding oil drops on your garage floor because the tech didn't wipe down your subframe. WTF!!! When I had the 30k service done on my EP3 at the stealership they gladly filled my car back up with the oil & filter I provided but the tech didn't clean up the mess he created on my subframe. Morning after the service I get up & get on my hands & knees to see if there are any leaks. To my surprise there were oil spots & tranny fluid spots on my garage floor. I then promptly called the stealership & talked to the service manager about my situation.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
oh, well i don't have any jackstands then. just the one that comes in the trunk with the spare. when i get some synthetic in there i'll only need to change it once, maybe twice a year. so i'm not going to invest in the jacks and tools needed for it.

just curious what the general attitude at places are when you show up with your own oil?

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
02civicsi said:
The two(15K & 30k) times I did on my EP3 the dealer didn't care.
that's sad, to be honest, i hate my dealership sometime too. they'll only work with my car if i used factory honda stuff only. they won't even do an oil change if i don't use honda oil lol.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've never had a problem bringing my own oil in. Its been a while but I think they should be fine with it.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
dnbsi said:
oh, well i don't have any jackstands then. just the one that comes in the trunk with the spare. when i get some synthetic in there i'll only need to change it once, maybe twice a year. so i'm not going to invest in the jacks and tools needed for it.

just curious what the general attitude at places are when you show up with your own oil?
arent you looking to get an evo2 catback?

you'll need jackstands&tools for that... or you'll wind up paying a shop $100

make the investment for some tools and jackstands and a good floor jack... maybe try and take some stuff off someone's hands who doesnt need it anymore

im just a big promoter of DIY stuff because its fun and educational

1 - 20 of 29 Posts