8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Time for first hardcore detail

1K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  I Vtec do you? 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, its finally about that time for my car. After about 8 months of normal detailing, I've got enough overspray and crap that I figure its time for a good detail.

here is my plan,

Step 1: Mother's Clay Bar Kit
Step 2: Mother's Sealer (Polish)
Step 3: Mother's Pure Carnauba Wax

This is going to be one hell of an all day adventure. Will post pics when done.

Here's a question, can I use a DA Polisher like the Porter 7424 that I've seen so highly recommended to do any of these steps? (Other than claying, of course) with this products? I've been pondering buying one and I can only imagine how much time/effort it would save given the amount of work about to be done.

Thoughts on this?

List/Prices of stuff to purchase for this process:

Porter Cable 7242 from Amazon.com, $99.99.

Meguiar's Clay Bar Kit (Comes with Spray, 2 5oz bars, and a small box of sample sealer wax) from Autozone, $20.
Paintwork Clay Pad Applicator for PC from Autogeek.com, $18.

Mother's Reflections Avanced Wax Sealant from Autogeek.com, $16.
What pad for PC?

Mother's Reflections Avanced Top Coat (Carnuaba Wax) from Autogeek.com, $16.
What pad for PC here too?

Total (minus the two missing pads) - $170.

Results after all this? I can't f'ing wait.

See less See more
#2 ·
Actually you can clay with the PC, there is a pad made specifically for putting the clay in.

You can use the PC on the sealant and wax. Use it on low settings and then buff off by hand or with a MF bonnet on the PC. I'm not sure what the Pre-Wax cleaner is so I'm not sure if you can use the PC on that or not. If it's just a wash, then no.

Btw, here's that pad.

Paintwork Clay Pad Applicator

#10 ·
Alright well here are my suggestions, largely influenced by what Rasky has told me.

For both the sealant and the wax, buy a Meguiar's W-9006 pad. This is a polishing pad with no cutting power so it won't ruin your paint. I'm not sure how the speed dials are on the PC (mine has number dials, 1-6 for power) but whatever it is, you'll wanna use a low speed and just spread the wax over the paint like that, then buff out by hand or MF bonnet on the PC.

Also, if you're worried about swirling in your paint and light scratches, I'd also buy meguiars M83 (for the medium scratches/swirling) followed up by the M80 (light swirling) and then do your sealant wax. For this you'll want to use the W-8006 pad.

Hope that helps, good luck :thumb:

Also, I'd prolly buy 3-4 of each pad. You never want to use the same pad with different chemicals, and it'ts a good idea to have back-ups for if one breaks or gets clogged while you're working in a polish or whatnot.

#11 · (Edited)
Yeah what he said.
Also, it's autogeek.net. I dunno if there's an autogeek.com. They have tons of coupon codes too. Join their online forum and do searches. The ones I know right now are "autopia" gives you 10% off, and "AGO" gives you free shipping on orders over $75.
edit***** new coupon code good till xmas day at autogeek.net, enter "max2007" at checkout to recieve 15% off purchase, AND free shipping on orders over $75. Yay!

So anyway. It's going to depend on the condition of your paint right now for how much you'll want to polish. (polish is usually abrasive) I use all meguires products, although there are others that are good to. If you have a dark color car with lots of swirls, you may need the M83 like he said, but always start with the least abrasive and move up if it's not correcting fast enough. For polishing, you'll need a cutting pad like Meguires M-8006. As he said, don't use the same pad for different product, and also be aware it takes a ridiculous amount of time for the pads to dry after washing. (it took a FULL day in the sun to dry, but usually takes about 2 days) so buy a couple pads. the W-9006 is great for applying wax and sealants.
Meguires has a nice scale on the side of the bottle for all its polishes that tell you how abrasive they rate it from 1-10. The M 83 is like a 5-6 and the M80 and M9 are 3-4. So check out the pics of the polish to find out how abrasive it is simply by comparing the scale on the front left side of the bottle. It makes it nice since it doesn't go by the #'s they give it.
What you might consider is as follows..

1) Thorough wash. Purchase a Grit Guard from autogeek.net if you don't have one already.
2) Claybar entire vehicles and rewash to remove residue
3) Cleaner/Polish like Meguires M80 or M9 using M-8006 pad if you have swirls, if not, you can skip this step.
4) Sealant like Meguires M21 or M20 using M-9006 pad
5) Wax, using M-9006 pad using wax of choice. I like Meguires M26. For over the shelf stuff. the new Meguires NXT 2.0 is supposed to be good.

If you don't want to get Meguires pads, Lake Country makes good ones too. Autogeek has those as well. The Orange is used like the M8006 (polishing and removing swirls) then step down to the white which just barely has any abrasive ability, then the grey or blue for finishing. It's also worth-while to buy the foam pad conditioning brush from autogeek. It's item code is PAD-TOOL. You use it to remove dried up/excess product from pad so you can still use it. (assuming your using the same product)

#15 ·
Good stuff.

I am going to have to get some of this stuff for when spring rolls around. Driving me crazy that I can't wash the car since it is so cold.

Thinking about getting a PC to cut down on the time it is taking me to do all the detailing by hand. Takes way too long.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.