8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found a few threads on here about problems with our Gen 8 civics having problems reaching and/or holding a steady temp.
Last winter and this one I have had that problem. Last winter I changed the thermostat with some Autozone one and it seemed to help some but it still would not hold nine bars on the temp gauge.

So now that the weather has been typically 30 to say 55 degrees, it has a heck of a time warming up.

I wouldn't be bothered except it has thrown the CEL with a code P0128 (taking too long to warm up basically).

Coolant is full, heat works fine, car runs fine. In warm weather it hits nine bars no prob but anything below like 60 and there comes the problem.

I found one thread on here where someone said it never warmed up right from the day they bought it new.
Seems certain cars out there have cooling systems that are just unstable?

The heck would cause thermostats to keep going bad, if that even is the case?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Like he said so yourself a favor and an oem one. I have the mishimoto thermostat on mine which throws coolant 20 degrees cooler than the stock one but the one from autozone is probably doing that when it shouldn't. It's probably opening too early and it's not able to warm up all the way because the coolant is going through it too soon.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nah it just activates the thermostat sooner plus I have flashpro and they adjusted my fan Temps and all that but no its not enough to cause that issue. I think your thermostat is opening way too soon and it's a bad thermostat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts