8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As title states, thinking of trading in my 06 Si for a Brand New 06 GTO (yes brand new ones still exist). Let me know your ideas, comments.

Jonathan

·
Registered
268 Posts
I would not do it. Of course it will be faster, but... I would rather drive a car with style and being free of maintnance. How much is the GTO going for now days? I just think it's such a waste to dump your Si for a non-famous GTO, which will probably have many troubles, considering only 30k or some units were made and being discountinued agian. I would NOT get a GTO for any reason because I just can't trust it being my daily driver.

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
I would not do it. Of course it will be faster, but... I would rather drive a car with style and being free of maintnance. How much is the GTO going for now days? I just think it's such a waste to dump your Si for a non-famous GTO, which will probably have many troubles, considering only 30k or some units were made and being discountinued agian. I would NOT get a GTO for any reason because I just can't trust it being my daily driver.
What> The GTO uses standard GM platform. Rock solid engine and tranny.

Main question would be the price of the GTO? Becuase I'd probably just look around for a T/A or Camaro with ultra low miles. Look around and you might find a Callaway or Lingerfelt built car.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002...oryZ6161QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001...oryZ6161QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I've owned a Callaway Camaro. Bad ass car! However too me the car just wasn't fun to drive. Big heavy and way fast. :eek:mg: Test drive the GTO and see if you'd really want to drive, park, and use it everyday.

have you looked at the srt6? they are a really great deal on the used market.

·
Premium Member
37,357 Posts
I'm not sure about a brand new GTO, but maybe a least turn in... Hell yeah! Do it! I had 3 choices when I got this car, a TSX, an SI or a GTO. Well, you know which way I went. I still have my eyeballs set on the new Camaro. Not a day goes by that I don't wish I could trade the Volvo in for a GTO.

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
Some of you speak of a lack of quality in GM's products, yet in reality, I've encountered more threads on this forum about the lack of quality in the Civic, and been through even more.

The GTO wasn't a hit because of the styling. The interior is far nicer than the Civic, even if it is more traditional, and its a proven performer and a rather reliable car.

I don't think you could go wrong, but just remember the dive down in gas mileage and a bit of an insurance increase.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Don't do it man, my dad has had two Pontiacs and they have both been nothing short of LEMONS... If you wanna change the civic buy something that will still work from here to 2 years... It IS a pimp car cuz its fast as hell but statistically speaking, it won't last more than a cpl of yrs... American cars lack durability, their trucks are a different story tho... ohh, and of course, let us know bout parts u might wanna sell from ur Si b4 selling...

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
Blanket statements about American reliability.

My 1999 Firebird and 2000 Grand Am were practically problem-free.

This, truth be told, the Civic is the first car that I question will hold up for more than 5 years.

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
Blanket statements about American reliability.

I agree. The GM based v8 engine has been rock solid. I had an old LT1 with a supercharger that only had one issue in 60k miles that I know of - sparkplug wire. Last I heard the engine had over 100k on it, thats with the pressure from the supercharger. No paint peeling from the roof and no third gear issues.

Too many blanket statments from people with no experience with GM products (other than chatboards).

·
All Liver GSP's!
3,619 Posts
My family has owned 2 Pontiac Grand AMs. Both were the V6 models. They were nothing but problems. Worst cars they ever owned.

On the other hand I know a person who is still driving a Pontiac T1000

·
Registered
586 Posts
I don't think you could go wrong, but just remember the dive down in gas mileage and a bit of an insurance increase.
I've always liked the GTO. Isn't the new replacement coming out soon? The G8?

You'd be surprised at the rates for the GTO, they are actually pretty low compared to other cars.

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
My family has owned 2 Pontiac Grand AMs. Both were the V6 models. They were nothing but problems. Worst cars they ever owned.

On the other hand I know a person who is still driving a Pontiac T1000
Depends on what model year you owned. I'm going to assume that they were the last generation, 1999-2005. The V6 models used the 3400 series engine, one that I really don't care for. The lower intake manifold on the 3.4L engines were prone to leak and needed to be replaced constantly. Mine was included with this, as was my friends several times.

That was the only problem I ever had with the car. The quality of the outgoing GM models died with their respective cars. GMs cars are definitely worth a second look these days. Truly.

I've always liked the GTO. Isn't the new replacement coming out soon? The G8?

You'd be surprised at the rates for the GTO, they are actually pretty low compared to other cars.
Yup, the Pontiac G8 is coming out very soon. It's a beautiful car, it really is, but I'm upset they won't be offering a manual transmission until the 2009 model year. Also, I'm not sure how I feel about the Holden wagon/truck they are bringing over and calling the G8 coupe or something like that.

Personally, I'd like to see GM take more concern with the Pontiac brand...it's been left to die for far too long.

·
All Liver GSP's!
3,619 Posts
Depends on what model year you owned. I'm going to assume that they were the last generation, 1999-2005. The V6 models used the 3400 series engine, one that I really don't care for. The lower intake manifold on the 3.4L engines were prone to leak and needed to be replaced constantly. Mine was included with this, as was my friends several times.
I think it was a 1995 and a 1993

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
WHats the pricing like? This one has the hood scoops and the dual exhaust, the 6.0L?
It's a 2005 or 2006 model, if that is the case. The 2004 model was the only year with the 5.7L engine from the Trans Am, and it didn't have dual exhaust or hood scoops.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts