8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts
The rust would deter me just as much as the engine cracking.

I bought a 2008 Civic almost 2 years ago that had a bad engine (previous owner hit something on the road, cracked the bottom of the radiator open and continued driving until the engine melted!)

I bought a 2011 engine from the junkyard (84k miles, 10k fewer than the car has) for only $430. My dad and I installed it over a few weekends and my wife has put over 20k miles on it since.

Don't be a FOOL, you better buy an 8th Gen, it's the best there ever was ,, I've got 571,000 miles now! View attachment 243161
What was your maintenance history? 500k miles is incredible. Im looking getting a 2009 Si sedan, but it has 220k miles on it. I'd like to know your thoughts on the price the dealer asking price is $5995.00. Clean, no accidents, orange color, no mods.

On original engine block???
Cracked block issue seems to be scatter-shot. Not all blocks grenade themselves. Remember DeltaTechX's post. Dude went through 2 engines (first went to 600K before the starter exploded thus seizing it) and the second block seems to be fine before something went, something with the crankshaft ......... point is, issues that had nothing to do with the block cracking. Also, his was a stick shift.

There is no doubt in my mind that these cars are practically bulletproof, so long as they are maintained well. We all know about the block as well as things that WILL fail such as the 1)A/C compressor, 2) Passenger Engine mount, 3) rear shocks, 4) muffler crack (if you live in the rust belt), 3) occasional front caliper. 4) other small issues that aren't a big deal that I can't think of right now.

That Si looks really good. At that price, could be a winner as it is untouched by someone's mods.

Cracked block issue seems to be scatter-shot. Not all blocks grenade themselves. Remember DeltaTechX's post. Dude went through 2 engines (first went to 600K before the starter exploded thus seizing it) and the second block seems to be fine before something went, something with the crankshaft ......... point is, issues that had nothing to do with the block cracking. Also, his was a stick shift.

There is no doubt in my mind that these cars are practically bulletproof, so long as they are maintained well. We all know about the block as well as things that WILL fail such as the 1)A/C compressor, 2) Passenger Engine mount, 3) rear shocks, 4) muffler crack (if you live in the rust belt), 3) occasional front caliper. 4) other small issues that aren't a big deal that I can't think of right now.

That Si looks really good. At that price, could be a winner as it is untouched by someone's mods.
Thats very true. I already accepted the fact that if it cracks, it cracks and will be left with 2 choices. I love to see 8th gen Si's around the streets untouched - its beautiful. Most of them are abused sadly.

Speed Test
I am currently looking at purchasing an 06 Honda civic 4 door ex 5 speed with moon roof spoiler alloy wheels. Its a one owner car lady driven car and has been maintained extremely well synthetic oil, new tires new struts a/c was just serviced etc. She drives it back and forth to work 60 miles a day all highway miles. They are asking 3500 and are firm on the price. There is not a dent scratch etc. on the car its flawless just some very very minor rust developing around the rear fender. I am just concerned with the mileage and the whole engine block issue with these 8th generation civics. So any help as far as major maintenance I should do right away would be appreciated. Is the recall still in active for these engine blocks and if so when does it expire? I currently drive an 02 civic with 180000 but its an automatic and really want a stick and the new body style and interior is much more appealing.
I don't know my 1.8's but they list two - one VTEC and one not. 14 year old car with high mileage for that cost.

I love to see 8th gen Si's around the streets untouched - its beautiful.
I still stand by this statement today. Saw a silver 07-08 Si Civic Sedan all stock on the road the other day with (I think) the original owner and its really nice to see one unmolested on the road. I think the white and silver colors didn't get affected with the clear coat issues. Colors like black and figi blue got it the worst.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.