8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Thinking of buying a 2006 civic with 200000 miles.

26K views 31 replies 26 participants last post by  kaandemir_ 
#1 ·
I am currently looking at purchasing an 06 Honda civic 4 door ex 5 speed with moon roof spoiler alloy wheels. Its a one owner car lady driven car and has been maintained extremely well synthetic oil, new tires new struts a/c was just serviced etc. She drives it back and forth to work 60 miles a day all highway miles. They are asking 3500 and are firm on the price. There is not a dent scratch etc. on the car its flawless just some very very minor rust developing around the rear fender. I am just concerned with the mileage and the whole engine block issue with these 8th generation civics. So any help as far as major maintenance I should do right away would be appreciated. Is the recall still in active for these engine blocks and if so when does it expire? I currently drive an 02 civic with 180000 but its an automatic and really want a stick and the new body style and interior is much more appealing.

#2 ·
I believe the recall was raised to 8 years so you're passed that by now. However chances are if it hasn't happened yet it might not, or maybe it already has been done. But if the service records show it has been taken care of and the car is clean then they must've really taken care of it. I'd buy it.

#3 ·
Found out the block has not been replaced from owner. I think I might pass on it. Although it has survived harsh Minnesota winters I can't justify buying it knowing the block could crack at anytime. Its truly unfortunate I would buy the car in a heartbeat if it wasn't for the issues with these engine blocks. I read that Honda did extend it to 10 years as for the block replacement but even then I have a limited amount of time if it does go to get it replaced.

#4 ·
Wow. Just went to KBB and it looks like that car is worth $3300 in my area with that many miles and in good condition. I don't know my 1.8's but they list two - one VTEC and one not. 14 year old car with high mileage for that cost.
I would have to justify the $3500 spread across the years I plan on driving without replacing anything major.
Keep rolling that 2002 just put some Dave Ramsey stickers on it like "mortgage paid off".

/looking for a kids car
//no 1970's $100 junkers to be had these days
///get off my lawn!

#9 ·
I got my civic 5+ years ago with 170k to start. I just hit 270k not too long ago. Engine is still very strong. Only things I had to service was spark plugs, starter, and o2 sensor, and that was only in the last 8 months. If it is all highway driven, and serviced religiously, then it is a good buy in my opinion!

#10 ·
10-year warranty extension

I purchased my 2006 Civic on 10/28/2005. I reached 200,000 miles just last week. On Friday, 02/27/2016 the car overheated for the first time and after looking under the hood we discovered a cracked engine block.

This morning I called Honda's customer service number (1-800-999-1009, option 7) to request goodwill assistance. Because I am just shy of 4 months beyond the 10-year extended engine warranty I was told that Honda would not provide assistance of any kind.

Anyone else have a 2006 just beyond the extended warranty period that has been able to obtain assistance from Honda?

#22 ·
The rust would deter me just as much as the engine cracking.

I bought a 2008 Civic almost 2 years ago that had a bad engine (previous owner hit something on the road, cracked the bottom of the radiator open and continued driving until the engine melted!)

I bought a 2011 engine from the junkyard (84k miles, 10k fewer than the car has) for only $430. My dad and I installed it over a few weekends and my wife has put over 20k miles on it since.

#28 · (Edited)
Speed Test
I am currently looking at purchasing an 06 Honda civic 4 door ex 5 speed with moon roof spoiler alloy wheels. Its a one owner car lady driven car and has been maintained extremely well synthetic oil, new tires new struts a/c was just serviced etc. She drives it back and forth to work 60 miles a day all highway miles. They are asking 3500 and are firm on the price. There is not a dent scratch etc. on the car its flawless just some very very minor rust developing around the rear fender. I am just concerned with the mileage and the whole engine block issue with these 8th generation civics. So any help as far as major maintenance I should do right away would be appreciated. Is the recall still in active for these engine blocks and if so when does it expire? I currently drive an 02 civic with 180000 but its an automatic and really want a stick and the new body style and interior is much more appealing.
I don't know my 1.8's but they list two - one VTEC and one not. 14 year old car with high mileage for that cost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.