8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Think most dealerships would do it?

Just got her in August and just passed 5k miles. Oil was just changed right on time, no major issues.

Si gas mileage, plus premium gas just doesn't spell good things right now.

Give me some good reasons to stay with the Si or go with my gut. I drive 80 miles a day, so it does get kind of rough. I've been averaging around 30 mpg though.

·
Registered
6,705 Posts
look dude, The R18 doesn't get that much better mileage than the K20.. It wouldn't justify the trade...

Say you had a large penis? Would you go to the doctor to have it shrunk down intentionally? Didn't think so.. So why trade cars?

You are going to get simaler gas Mileage with the R18, Stay out of the VTEC and you will be fine, Also the price difference only adds up to a few dollars ar the pump.. If a few bucks is hurting you then you have other issues and should not be driving a new car to begin with.

Reactions: Whocares05050

·
Registered
618 Posts
If you have been getting 30mpg, buying an ex won't do you any good.
After taking the loss for the si trade in value, it probably won't save you that much money...Just my opinion...I have an lx sedan now and wish I would have just bought the si with navi and got it over with...It is only averaging about 32-33mpg...

·
Registered
40 Posts
B/c it's a SI. Once you get rid of it, you'll be kicking yourself in the ass wishing you didn't. I been putting regular gas in it and haven't had a problem. I go back and forth with the Premium gas. For the love of god, don't get rid of it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well, my question to you is "how do you drive it?" if you drive it conservitivly then you can put 87 or 89 octane in it. thats what the dealerships have told me (for what its worth). I personally dont want to risk it because i love revving to 8k but that might just be something to think about. Before you take my word for it i would do some research but you might be able to pull it off. good luck

·
VIP Member
12,350 Posts
look dude, The R18 doesn't get that much better mileage than the K20.. It wouldn't justify the trade...

Say you had a large penis? Would you go to the doctor to have it shrunk down intentionally? Didn't think so.. So why trade cars?

You are going to get simaler gas Mileage with the R18, Stay out of the VTEC and you will be fine, Also the price difference only adds up to a few dollars ar the pump.. If a few bucks is hurting you then you have other issues and should not be driving a new car to begin with.
Hmm.. say because the large one doesnt get good 'mileage' while the short one does???

:eek:hsnap:

Anyway 30mpg on the Si sounds a bit low. I've seen some report about 34-36 with A/C on. >.< Thats in the EX range. I would say figure out how to get better gas mileage on it. Ease up acceleration. Drive in the highest gear possible etc etc and keep the Si :thumb:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't know how anyone gets in the upwards of 40 mpg. I drive it conservatively and still get 30-31.

But I think you guys are right, sometimes I just doubt myself when I see the premium gas tag go up... especially once it hits $4.

·
Registered
718 Posts
no matter how high that premium gas goes, it's still only like $.20 more than regular. At 12 gallons, that's a whopping $2.40. Depending on how often you fill up, that doesn't add up to much. I, for example, fill up once a week. That means I spend an extra $124 per YEAR. Whoopdy Doo. Even if you fill up twice a week, that's $248 per year. No big deal.

Keep the SI.

I drove an EX before the SI, thinking I would get the EX because it was cheaper. Once I touched VTEC, there was NO WAY I was getting an EX. There is no way you would be happy driving an EX after having the SI for a while.

·
Premium Member
37,357 Posts
On a full tank you're looking at what? A whole $1.50 more at the most. ooooh, that's a whole two can's of coke out of a machine. When you do the math, you'll see in the long run you'll need more excuses to make sense of that one. The $ you'll loose in trade is enough to say it's NOT worth it.

Sorry man. I'm just saying it as straight as I can.

·
Registered
718 Posts
On a full tank you're looking at what? A whole $1.50 more at the most. ooooh, that's a whole two can's of coke out of a machine. When you do the math, you'll see in the long run you'll need more excuses to make sense of that one. The $ you'll loose in trade is enough to say it's NOT worth it.
I beat you to doing the math.

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
I would kill for 30 mpg. I get 22 (lots of city driving, the epa gets 23 city so im happy). You will miss, 60 hp, .9g skid pad potential, 14.8 second quarter miles, 8300 rpm. The stock EX suspension isn't that much softer than the Si. The EX is stiffer than a Corolla or Sentra. Thats the way honda does it. The put a little more sport in all their cars relative to other brands. Its been so long since i have ridden in on a Stock Si suspension, I have forgoten just how soft it is. Like others said before, whats 2 bucks more at the pump? Thats 2 sodas, 2 hotwheels (i just got a R34 GTR the other day, yessss), 3 candy bars. You aren't missing much with the extra cost of gas. A loaded EX cost a grand less than an Si. You will lose at least that much if you trade it in. So 2 bucks at the pump or 2 grand at the dealership.

·
Registered
185 Posts
So let's see, you purchase a car, something considered one of life's biggest purchases along with a home, and you apparently did zero research on this important purchase. Did you not know it needed premium fuel before you got it? Did you not read the EPA numbers for fuel mileage when you bought this car? And now you want to trade it in about two months after you purchased it? Unbelievable. Did you just wake up one day and say to yourself "I'm buying an SI today" or was there any thought process beforehand?

To answer your question, sure you can trade your car in. You just better bring about $5,000 to the table to take care of your negative equity. But you seem like the type of person who will just roll that negative equity into a new car, and finance interest on top of interest. It's a win/win for the dealership and the bank, and a big lose for you. The slight money you'll save on regular gas and the better gas mileage of the Civic EX will be offset by purchasing a new car after owning the first one for two months. Dumb!!

The longer I hang out on car boards, the more I learn that people are absolutely clueless when it comes to personal finances. No wonder why the personal savings rate in America is so atrocious, and personal bankruptcies/home foreclosures are skyrocking.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I don't know how anyone gets in the upwards of 40 mpg. I drive it conservatively and still get 30-31.

But I think you guys are right, sometimes I just doubt myself when I see the premium gas tag go up... especially once it hits $4.
lol when it gets to 4$ a gallon, I will start sucking gas out of people's tanks :lildevil:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.