8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm looking to get a DSLR for my yearbook class at school... well i've been using 35mm's but im looking at D40's right now. I read in a thread that the D40x's 10.1 megapixels is useless without a good lense, thereby I am thinking about the regular D40 with a 55-200 lense?

What would you guys recommend?

Thanks
cHeers!

·
Registered
868 Posts
d40 will take fine photos. all cameras are useless without a good lens. i love all my nikkor lenses.
and the 55-200mm is a good choice, it will be my next lens purchase.

currently have d50, 50mm f/1.8 prime, 18-55mm G kit, 70-300mm G

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
i would personally take the the 18-70 from the D70(s), but ive seen some places selling the D40 at a price where the kit lense becomes like $30 so who knows depends on your budget.

I

·
0 Posts
Pretty much, get the most expensive lens you can afford at the time.
Thats really your best bet.

·
Webby's Minion
7,058 Posts
Once again, if you have a bunch of old Nikon lenses that you expect to use on the D40 or D40x, only the AF-s lenses will autofocus since the body does not support screw drive lenses.

A 6 megapixel photo will create photo-quality prints up to 11"x14", which is fine for most stuff you'll be doing for a yearbook. A 10 megapixel photo will create photo-quality prints up to 20"x30". The 10 megapixel sensor will give more leeway when you want to significantly crop and/or rotate pictures.

If you get the D40, stick with the kit 18-55mm lens. The 55-200mm will be okay, but you probably won't use it much especially if you're going to be shooting within classrooms and hallways. The 55-200mm isn't very good for sports because it's not a fast lens. It's decent enough to use if you have to use it. Spend the extra $50 for the VR version if you do get a 55-200mm lens.

I would also recommend getting an external flash. I would recommend the SB-600 speedlight flash for you. You can tilt and rotate the flash so you can bounce light off of ceilings or walls. The SB-400 (which I have an love) is limited in that the flash head can only tilt, so you can bounce off of ceilings for landscape shots or bounce of off walls for portrait shots.

Other things I recommend for you:
- extra battery
- a few gigs worth of SD or SDHC cards (you should have a few cards, not just one high capacity card, so that if you lose a card, you don't lose all your shots)
- remote control
- Hoya HMC UV(0) filter for lens protection

Boy, that's about $1,000 worth of equipment. Yikes!

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
ImTheVoiceOfGod said:
Pretty much, get the most expensive lens you can afford at the time.
Thats really your best bet.
the problem with that is that there isnt just one type of lens and the more you spend you get better and better...what happens when you spend all this money on a nice tele, and then later youfigure out, maybe you like to do nature most often?

I

·
0 Posts
Good luck finding the remote for D40 or D80. Backorder like a MoFo.

I

·
0 Posts
e60.deluxe said:
the problem with that is that there isnt just one type of lens and the more you spend you get better and better...what happens when you spend all this money on a nice tele, and then later youfigure out, maybe you like to do nature most often?
Pretty much dont listen to that post. I wasnt thinking you wanted a lens for specific things.

If you can afford it.... this is where its at. This is the next addition to my bag.
http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/541530721.htm?bct=t13031003;cidigital-cameras-and-accessories;cilenses-for-digital-cameras;cislr-lens;cilenses-for-nikon

·
Wegue Wegue
12,785 Posts
confusedxpanda said:
thanks for the relpy skiz! could i just curious the D40 + the nikkor 55-200 and be set to go?

oooo.. What kind of pictures do you want to take?

If you get a zoom lens like the 55-200 only, you won't be able to do a few shots. Get the 18-55 and the 55 - 200. (there is a kit you can get that has both those lenses)

I have that exact setup, D40, 18-55 and 55-200. I use the 18-55 more often than the Telephoto. You get some nice shots with both.

18mm

38mm

200mm

55mm - yes I know, it's a different image, but these are all in camera untouched images.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
ImTheVoiceOfGod said:
Pretty much dont listen to that post. I wasnt thinking you wanted a lens for specific things.

If you can afford it.... this is where its at. This is the next addition to my bag.
http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/541530721.htm?bct=t13031003;cidigital-cameras-and-accessories;cilenses-for-digital-cameras;cislr-lens;cilenses-for-nikon
you cant buy a good "do everything" lens. that is the way to poor quality, and defeating the purpose of interchangable lenses. lets say he buys that lens. then he's in the classrooms, and only using 18mm-35mm the most. and sometimes up to 50 or 70. he could have gotten better quality for the money. or, he may realize that its to Fing slow for indoor (in classrooms) and he wants a fast prime, but the $ is all spent on that lens. you always need to think about what you want to do.

·
Wegue Wegue
12,785 Posts
8thgenuser said:
Other things I recommend for you:
- extra battery
- a few gigs worth of SD or SDHC cards (you should have a few cards, not just one high capacity card, so that if you lose a card, you don't lose all your shots)
- remote control
- Hoya HMC UV(0) filter for lens protection

Boy, that's about $1,000 worth of equipment. Yikes!

I got all that for Under $700 cdn... :)

Sales!

And buy a 8gig SDHC!!! FTW!

I

·
0 Posts
Well, not everyone goes out taking staged shots. Such as people in yearbook.
So you dont always have time to change from your 18-55 to your 55-200 to get the zoom you need. Sure your quality may diminish a little, but if it comes down to a little quality drop and totally missing the shot, which would you choose?

·
Wegue Wegue
12,785 Posts
If you're going to get really serious into shooting, then you should invest better lenses. The Nikkor lenses that come with the Nikon D40 kit are nice. You can do some fantastic things with them.

If you feel the need to try other lenses , go to a photography shop that rents lenses and try them for a day or two, see which you prefer, then decide to invest in them. Some of the lenses I have are over $3,000 (for my Canon)

Good luck, and which ever you choose, you'll enjoy it immensly

·
Webby's Minion
7,058 Posts
The 18-200mm VR is great for casual shots which a yearbook mostly consists of. The only staged shots are usually the head shots that are usually taken by an overpriced hired professional photographer.

The only bad thing about the 18-200mm VR is that it doesn't exactly fit into a high-school student's budget.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
ImTheVoiceOfGod said:
Well, not everyone goes out taking staged shots. Such as people in yearbook.
So you dont always have time to change from your 18-55 to your 55-200 to get the zoom you need. Sure your quality may diminish a little, but if it comes down to a little quality drop and totally missing the shot, which would you choose?
now you are arguing the uses for a high zoom factor, thats not what i was talking about. the point is you have to see what you use most often, you cant blindly buy the most expensive thing you can afford. perhaps you are in a situation where you are constantly faced with closeups and far away shots, but you dont know that. my point is you have to think about what you are going to do before you just buy any lens. i was just giving an example. just like your example is one where you need the high zoom factor mine is one where you need the aperture. get it?

p.s. unless its an unaccessable person in some concert or sports player, lol @ using anything close to 200mm to take a pic of a person.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts