8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since I got my 08 Si I had been taking it to a favored dealership where every oil change they put Mobil 1 5/30 in it. My car has 30k+ miles on it now and it runs as if it were new.

I recently moved and just took my Si in for an oil changed today at a new "well known" Honda dealership. As always I requested Mobil 1 and that they don't wash my car cuz I am pretty picky about that.

Well I always like to keep an eye on my ride, so I walked around the back while they did there checks and the oil change. All was well until they went to start filling it up. I saw him grab the regular lube hose and was about to start pumping it in when I said, "Doesn't the work order say Mobil 1?" They looked confused for a second and shortly after that they arrived with a fresh box of Mobil 1. I was relieved. But then noticed as they started pouring it in that it was 5W-20 and I know the Si calls for 5W-30. So they finished up and brought the car around where I asked the service desk guy what kind of oil the Si normally takes and he said "5W-20" I said really I been using 5W-30 Since I got it and he said, "well they should have been using 5W-20 the whole time" So paid for my oil change and left with some serious doubts in my head.

Firstly, if I hadn't gone back around to the garage while they were changing the oil I would have gotten regular oil and would have still been paying for the synthetic. Secondly, luckily I was there but still only got 5/20. I have read several posts about the difference and was going to do some track runs tomorrow night, but now I am concerned about the oil that was used.

What should I do? Contact the dealership and let them know not only were they going to charge me the full price of a synthetic change when they were going to use regular oil? Let them know I do not think 5/20 should be ran in this car? I mean come on it says it right on the cap!

This has got me wondering about the honesty and customer/car care of this dealership.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I think you'll be olkay with the 20 for daily use. Its a little on the thin side though that is typically reserve for the R18. I wouldn't track it for hours on end. hell come to think of it, i probably would get crazy with it at all.

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
^funny you say that. The J's Racing FD2 is modded to all hell and is running on 0w-20. I'm sure it provides more then enough lube. All the K24's use 5w-20 (take the TSX for example)

The reason why Honda chose to use the 20 weight was because of oil shear. usually by the end of an oil run, the weight of the 5w-30 you put in is closer to 5w-20. Its a by product of high RPMs.

·
Registered
466 Posts
just do your own oil changes.
^^this

you're paying for it, why should you have to go around back to check if they're putting in correct oil. do your own oil changed, probably takes 15 minutes and you dont have to doubt whats in your engine. they probably been putting regular oil for you car ever since you go it. and im sure your car will be just fine

·
Registered
606 Posts
just do your own oil changes.
:word:

You should really do your own; learn how, find time, it won't void the warranty or make you car any less valuable by not letting the dealer do it, so why not?

Anyway, you should be perfectly fine with that in there, but if you feel the urge to bring her to high rpm's daily, I'd probably drain it and put 30 in (leave the filter), and do it yourself at your next OCI so we OCD people all sleep better knowing your car is happy.

·
Registered
61 Posts
i have used 0w-20 for 3 years now. multiply track days, multiply drag runs. No problems! i see absolutely no need to 5w-30(unless ur running 24hrs at le mans).

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Sorry to say but onyour oem oil cap it has the correct oil grade that should be used.....If you are that worried. :pat:

·
Registered
892 Posts
put the 30 in.. its a higher viscosity and provides more protection for your engine components. to the guy using 20 weight your not going to notice any difference short term. Long term like 150K + of using 20 is when things will start to show up. So if you dont plan to keep your vehicle for 200K miles or more than your fine. You really think the hard working engineers at Honda just say to put a certain type of oil in for no reason?

·
Hidy Ho Neighbor
29,707 Posts
I would have stopped them, made them start over with 5w30. If the manager thinks 20 weight is correct, then he needs reading help.

·
Registered
222 Posts
i was at a dealershipt parts dept and THEIR chart even says 5-30 for the si. If i was you I would call and complain still. I agree on doing your own oil changes, but if you paid and asked for synthetic why the hell would they put in 5-20 regular.. man.. this makes me doubt them putting in the brake fluid i asked them to put in..

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
^funny you say that. The J's Racing FD2 is modded to all hell and is running on 0w-20. I'm sure it provides more then enough lube. All the K24's use 5w-20 (take the TSX for example)

The reason why Honda chose to use the 20 weight was because of oil shear. usually by the end of an oil run, the weight of the 5w-30 you put in is closer to 5w-20. Its a by product of high RPMs.
my tsx says 5w-30
my sisters accord says 5x-20

·
Registered
333 Posts
depressing to read about totally incompetent employees at dealerships

it does day 5w30 right on the fcking cap
get your oil changed somewhere else

1 - 19 of 19 Posts