8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an engine light, took the Civic to Westwood Honda, they said the readings didn't make sense so they reset it.

2 days later, light comes back. I took it in and now they say it needs a new cooling sensor and thermostat.

I'm at 78,000 and that just doesn't seem right. Past cars have all gone over 100,000 before that part failed.

Plus, I have seen overheating in the past, while here the car always ran fine and the temp reading was normal.

Not sure what else to say or ask. I just find it really odd that they want me to shell out $250 for that yet something else could be wrong.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I work for a Honda dealer in Northern BC and we have seen a couple of 8th gen civics and a Fit or two lately with Engine coolant temp sensor codes (both sensors, there are two). These cars all have had less than 100,000km on them. We thought it was a glitch related to the extreme cold temperatures we have up here as that tends to cause some weird issues but it would seem that perhaps that is not the case. We replaced the sensors only on a car recently, the thermostat seemed to be functioning properly. No news yet as to whether or not the problem has returned, so I'm guessing that the sensors were in fact out of range.

If you have experienced overheating with your car in the past and now you are getting ECT sensor codes I would also suspect a problem with your thermostat and/or the sensor. (The second ECT sensor is located in the radiator and is responsible for monitoring whether or not the thermostat is opening at the right temperature).

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I work for a Honda dealer in Northern BC and we have seen a couple of 8th gen civics and a Fit or two lately with Engine coolant temp sensor codes (both sensors, there are two). These cars all have had less than 100,000km on them. We thought it was a glitch related to the extreme cold temperatures we have up here as that tends to cause some weird issues but it would seem that perhaps that is not the case. We replaced the sensors only on a car recently, the thermostat seemed to be functioning properly. No news yet as to whether or not the problem has returned, so I'm guessing that the sensors were in fact out of range.

If you have experienced overheating with your car in the past and now you are getting ECT sensor codes I would also suspect a problem with your thermostat and/or the sensor. (The second ECT sensor is located in the radiator and is responsible for monitoring whether or not the thermostat is opening at the right temperature).
Glitch man, you definelty get props for this reply. We don't have alot of people on our forum that can give actual hands on repair advice/recommendations. Thanks for taking the time to post, I'm sure Div appreciates it. Its nice to see a useful post that doesn't start or end with 'UR ***!'

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.