8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Tuna Fiddle
Joined
·
19,256 Posts
It is true that most dealerships steer away from rebuilding transmissions as well as engines. It ends up costing the dealer and/or manufacture more money to pay a tech to tear something down and rebuild it than just replace it. I have been in dealerships for over 5 years and not once have I seen an engine or transmission rebuilt under warranty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,351 Posts
thank for the info man..... I live in charlotte too
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,697 Posts
my friend blew the synchros on his tranny (he has an rsx) and instead of them just fixing the synchros they shipped in a "new" tranny. (just like ley stated above) i dont mind getting a brand new tranny, but i would mind getting refurbed :/
 

·
Purpul Plane 4ever!
Joined
·
40,686 Posts
So Ley, are you getting yours "fixed"? if so where and who did you speak to. lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
376 Posts
coupe_de_grace said:
my friend blew the synchros on his tranny (he has an rsx) and instead of them just fixing the synchros they shipped in a "new" tranny. (just like ley stated above) i dont mind getting a brand new tranny, but i would mind getting refurbed :/

Most Engines and Transmissions that are used for warranty work are remanufactured...Just with new parts, so its Like-new?
Just Coming From somebody who works at a dealership.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,166 Posts
It is true. From a techs P.O.V. I can see why they would do this it takes less than 2 hours to drop and replace the trans as apposed to maybe 10 hours to take it apart and inspect every piece.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
I purposely slam the shifter into third gear very hard now because I'm so sick of thinking it's in gear letting out the clutch and hearing a grinding noise followed by the gear popping out. Makes me look like an idiot and it's flat out dangerous as well. I know the synchros are going to die on this car way premature. I don't know what the heck is wrong with this car, I should not be having transmission problems with less than 5,000 miles on the odometer. I brought it to my Honda dealer once to have them fix it and they said they found nothing wrong with it. Well, I'll make sure the next time I take it in the transmission is shot to hell so they'll replace it. As hard as I'm slamming it into third every day now that shouldn't take long.

What's up with Honda quality/relability. Guy at work has a damn Kia with 60,000 miles and never a problem with this 5-speed transmission and my Honda that cost twice as much as his base model Kia is giving me problems with 3,000 miles on it? Something ain't right about that. Obviously this is a problem because I've already seen several posts about this issue. Honda better recall this **** and make it right by their customers.
 

·
Tuna Fiddle
Joined
·
19,256 Posts
nsane said:
Most Engines and Transmissions that are used for warranty work are remanufactured...Just with new parts, so its Like-new?
Just Coming From somebody who works at a dealership.
For the most part yes, I however, have never seen a remanufactured manual transmission from either company I have worked for (Honda and Nissan/Infiniti)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
dgs said:
I purposely slam the shifter into third gear very hard now because I'm so sick of thinking it's in gear letting out the clutch and hearing a grinding noise followed by the gear popping out. Makes me look like an idiot and it's flat out dangerous as well. I know the synchros are going to die on this car way premature. I don't know what the heck is wrong with this car, I should not be having transmission problems with less than 5,000 miles on the odometer. I brought it to my Honda dealer once to have them fix it and they said they found nothing wrong with it. Well, I'll make sure the next time I take it in the transmission is shot to hell so they'll replace it. As hard as I'm slamming it into third every day now that shouldn't take long.

What's up with Honda quality/relability. Guy at work has a damn Kia with 60,000 miles and never a problem with this 5-speed transmission and my Honda that cost twice as much as his base model Kia is giving me problems with 3,000 miles on it? Something ain't right about that. Obviously this is a problem because I've already seen several posts about this issue. Honda better recall this **** and make it right by their customers.
What is wrong with Honda quality? Nothing...
No 3rd gear problems here...
And let's think about this, do you think the average Kia is going to be driven the same way as the average Si? I will put money on the fact that some of the so called 3rd gear issue is infact driver related, and not a car related issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,532 Posts
shingles said:
I will put money on the fact that some of the so called 3rd gear issue is infact driver related, and not a car related issue.
So, people on here can't drive? This also has happened to other Honda's as well. Just because YOU don't have the problem doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,648 Posts
twistedframe said:
It is true that most dealerships steer away from rebuilding transmissions as well as engines. It ends up costing the dealer and/or manufacture more money to pay a tech to tear something down and rebuild it than just replace it. I have been in dealerships for over 5 years and not once have I seen an engine or transmission rebuilt under warranty.
My engine was in fact rebuilt under warranty. They contemplated putting in a new engine but decided that rebuilding was the way to go. After all that was done my engine seems to run so much stronger. They did a nice job.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,555 Posts
I dont have have any problems with third gear, unless im lazy ( knocks on wood )
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,166 Posts
shingles said:
What is wrong with Honda quality? Nothing...
WRONG, what is wrong with this statement? Everything, mainly brainwash.

Cheap paint, gear grinds, suspension pings, cheap interior quality.

Tell me one other 20k car with all those problems... Go ahead.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,652 Posts
shingles said:
What is wrong with Honda quality? Nothing...
No 3rd gear problems here...
And let's think about this, do you think the average Kia is going to be driven the same way as the average Si? I will put money on the fact that some of the so called 3rd gear issue is infact driver related, and not a car related issue.
FAIL! :thumb:
I think the guys before me already summed up what I wouldve said
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,889 Posts
KingMarineM16a4 said:
No one likes problems unless you are just looking to fix something and no one is looking to fix something on a BRAND new car.
my aunt bought a brand new 2001 Jetta.... it had all sorts of problems...

spring shot up through the drivers seats... and much much more... she had to go to the VW dealership numerous times.

this is not the only brand new car.... thats got issues.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,166 Posts
nayilsi said:
my aunt bought a brand new 2001 Jetta.... it had all sorts of problems...

spring shot up through the drivers seats... and much much more... she had to go to the VW dealership numerous times.

this is not the only brand new car.... thats got issues.
Still supports my statement. Honda along with almost EVERY car manufacture is starting to be concerned with quantity over quality, unfortunently.
 
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Top