8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i used to have a AEM CAI on my integra with a bypass valve, at the time i didn't know that when you install a CAI the engine uses or burns all of the oil your car has therefore i had to have oil changed every 2k miles, i was told this by the dealer...anyway i recently ran into a mechanic that works only with hondas and told me that intakes don't produce the power that a lot of people think, and that if anything it cuts your engines life because filters are not protected like stock ones, and your oil remains cleaner than with CAI... now, i was wondering if there is any truth to that, if thats the case i'll skip the CAI upgrades and stay with catback and headers...does anyone know for a fact that this is true??

·
Registered
579 Posts
i guess it's possible? i don't really see how your engine oil is in any way connected to your intake though... someone else can probably help you with a more technical answer though

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats what i thought, but i guess the air that goes into your engine has something to do with it, that and i using syntetic oil

·
Banned
24,191 Posts
If anything a dealer would tell you that becasue they are hoping you wil be giving them the business more often by changing your oil more frequently.Some CAI do make little power but most will give you some good gains...just don't expect 20+ WHP from them unless you have a built engine and that is the last restriction.The only thing I can think of as to why your engine life would suffer is either sucking water up or running slightly leaner but anything else would be hard to quantify as causing the life of the motor to decrease.The number one killer of engines is abusive or neglectful owners

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
CAI for our FG2's are dyno proven to make power,..period. As far as the dealership saying the stock filter offers more protection, that is BS!!!! Aftermarket filters are much better than stock in both filtration, ( stopping up to a smaller micron of debris) AND flowing higher CFM. Using a CAI like Injen or even a SRI like X's, keeps the A/F ratios safe, so im not seeing how oil is getting burned. Basically all that info is BS!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i don't think it was because dealer wanted more business, i had free oil changes for as long as i owned the car.... as for the car burning more oil that was true, the vtec on my integra would work properly thats when i took it to the dealer and thats what they told me, it wasnt doing any of that prior to the CAI install

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
b series all eat oil. espeically if you vtec alot.
hardly could blame it on the intakes you had.
so far my k series isnt consuming oil and i vtec it ALL the time.
any number of things could be causing you to consume oil.
and vtec stops working when oil pressure is low so im guessing you just ran low on oil from consumption.
heres a little advice no matter if the car is stock or 3000 horsepower.
check your fluids often. and you wont have problems.
i check oil level at least 1-2 times a week. new car or not.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well, I never have heard of installing a CAI causing the engine to burn oil. the only cause of this would be the placement of the Positive Crankcase vent, I suppose if it where to pull more than usual it could suck more vapors than normal. But really thats kindof BS. not sure what a bypass valve is unless its a PCV on cover vent, those suck unless you run a vacuum on the engine.

First, I'd check for leaks, then do a compression test. your seals or your rings could be going. but. No, a CAI will not lead to oil consumption. but yes, a cheap filter will ruin the internals and gas milage.

·
Registered
37 Posts
you dont have anything to worry about. as long as you check your oil and filter regularly.
i notice i do burn about a half quart of oil every 5000 miles, but i dont think it has anything to do with my CAI.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i use mobil 1 full synth. and a mobil 1 oil filter. full synth will not burn and "clump" together like a conventional motor oil will. so in turn you can use it longer. some say up to 10K miles but i change it every 5k miles.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I don't know about the burning oil part, but I understand why they said a cai reduces engine life.

The filters get dirty and stop working properly. This isn't an issue if they keep cleaning it regularly, but most don't. Just look where the cai filter sits on most cars.

Bad car maintenance ftl :(

--Korea

·
Registered
192 Posts
I heard that new Injen CAI (which is a tuned intake for our SI's) is the best one out there thus far. I might get that one, but i don't know yet.
What i want to know is, what is the performance gain from doing the Hondata Reflash & Gasket, Intake, DC Sports Race Header and exhaust in the 1/4 mile ? How much time does it take off on average ? I saw the dyno, but what's the time ? If SI's with a good driver is getting 0 - 60 @ 6.7 ~ 6.8 and the quarter 14.8 ~ 15.1 *STOCK*, what can we expect after all the upgrades ? Anyone ??? :popcorn:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I heard that new Injen CAI (which is a tuned intake for our SI's) is the best one out there thus far. I might get that one, but i don't know yet.
What i want to know is, what is the performance gain from doing the Hondata Reflash & Gasket, Intake, DC Sports Race Header and exhaust in the 1/4 mile ? How much time does it take off on average ? I saw the dyno, but what's the time ? If SI's with a good driver is getting 0 - 60 @ 6.7 ~ 6.8 and the quarter 14.8 ~ 15.1 *STOCK*, what can we expect after all the upgrades ? Anyone ??? :popcorn:
i know that injen produces 2 or 3 more HP than AEM CAI...but the only reason i would choose AEM over injen is because AEM has an air bypass thing that prevents the intake from sucking water into your engine, so far i don't think injen has one

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i suppose you could, but i wonder since the injen intake was not meant to be cut in 2 it looses HP....where did you make the cut?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts