8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in an attempt to get my revs down when taking off from a stop they'll sometimes drop a liiiitle below 1k and i'll get that shimmy feeling from the engine. of course i add gas right away, but how bad is this for the engine?

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
um, I'd assume it's bad. It's a principle called Engine Lag (according to my dad like 8 years ago) and he told me back then that's it's bad for my prelude to do that. So always keep my RPM's above 1500 unless idling.

·
Registered
94 Posts
You are not driving a V8. Our little 4 cylinder engines need revs to make ANY power. You should never let your engine fall outside of the rev range where you have usable power.

Just as an example-
You are toddling along at 35mph in 6th gear at about 2000rpm. A car pulls out in front of you and you need some power to make the evasive move to avoid the collision. You step on the gas and nothing happens because you don't have enough revs to make the LSD work for you.
Same example-
You are in moving along @ 35mph in 4th gear at about 3500rpm. The car now has enough revs to potentially get you out this situation, if you react correctly.

The shaking is actually your engine knocking and you really don't want that.

Now go get your revs up.

·
Banned
14,725 Posts
so far every response has nothign to do with his situation...

he is referring to when at a stop when in gear, you let off the clutch slightly until it engages. there is a slight rpm drop/bog until he steps on the accelerater.

whether is is good or bad for the car, i dont know......

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
my situation directly pertains to him, actually. When you engage, don't let it fall below 1500rpms. Give it gas. It's you motor knocking (as stated previously) and no, it's not good.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yes, that "shimmying" is bad for your engine. ^^Like nycclaye says - Just give it some gas to keep the rpm's up. Seems better to burn a little more gas rather than lugging your engine just after the stop

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i knew it wasn't good, but i mean HOW bad is it? it's happend a few times this week.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Judging by the amount of manuals and amount of times people do this, I'd say you're going to have to do it consistently for a long, long time for it to make any difference in your car.

These cars are not NEARLY as sensitive or fragile as people on here like to think and make others think. They are built very tough, and keep in mind that Honda is first and foremost an engine company. These four-cylinders are robust and anything BUT fragile.

Just work on your technique. You have not harmed your car in any serious way.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks. yeah it's not like it was happening every time i'd go from a stop. maybe once a day. just trying to get used to launching with a lower rpm so my clutch doesn't burn out.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Just as an example-
You are toddling along at 35mph in 6th gear at about 2000rpm. A car pulls out in front of you and you need some power to make the evasive move to avoid the collision. You step on the gas and nothing happens because you don't have enough revs to make the LSD work for you.
Huh? Our helical-type LSD around corners, no ?

·
Premium Member
13,469 Posts
a clutch is cheaper then a engine man... let it slip...

I say rev to 1500 rpm and slowly(within 2-3 seconds) let the clutch out untill its all the way out, its not the slipping that makes the clutch fail its heat, like reting your foot on the pedle, that makes more damage going down the street then anything else...

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
the only reason you feel the "shimmy" is because the engine rpms are so low, that while engaging the clutch you are feeling the power strokes more pronounced, and the engine isnt making anough torque to get you off the line smoothly so its pulling in pulses.
you can have your car idle and sloly slip the clutch and it will pull itself along too.

THIS IS NOT BAD FOR YOUR MOTOR. nor is it good for it.
moral of the story: slipping the clutch at 3k is doing more financial damage than slipping it at 1k.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts